The BETTER margarita

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I've been trying different combos of liquor and came up with one that is right (for me and maybe you).

3 parts tequila (you can use cheap stuff or upgrade to your favorite)
2 parts triple sec (this is pure orange liquor, not mixed with brandy as that is what Grand Marnier is: G.M. is sometimes used but I find the brandy imparts too much of its own flavour to the drink)
1 part lime juice fresh-squeezed

So, for this I use a cocktail shaker.

I find that one lime gives about 1 1/2 oz juice (nuke it for about 25 seconds then roll it with your hand on a hard surface, squeezing down. This will get more juice out of the lime). Cut in half and squeeze into shaker.

I use this kind of reamer to get the juice
31YS3MVC53L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now I go with

3 shots (1 1/2 oz each) tequila
2 shots (1 1/2 oz each) triple sec (any brand)
1 shot lime juice (juice from 1 nuked lime)

Put this in the shaker, put 4-5 whole ice cubes (not crushed) in, put the lid(s) on, wrap in a towel (the can gets super cold) and shake for about 30 seconds.

Pour into TWO glasses (this is nice size for two glassfuls). There will be some cubes left and discard those.

I find the semi-melted cubes add just the right amount of liquid to smooth out everything.

I don't use salt on the rims (your choice though).

MMMMM!

Sounds Great Len! I came here looking for Bloody Mary recommendations and found this----

Recipe sounds great! The Ms. just picked up a bottle of Don Julio reposado, so I'm going to share this recipe with her.

I haven't made a margarita with triple sec yet. Do you like the taste it adds, vs. just lime juice?

Do you put any sugar?

might go for this tonight.
the MRS has a birthday today and staying with tradition and our love for taco's i was making chicken tender tacos and we were going to have some tequila. Tequila drinks seem better than our traditional tequila shots.

Darryl, please wish the Mrs. HAPPY BIRTHDAY for me and let us know if she likes the drinks..

I haven't made a margarita with triple sec yet. Do you like the taste it adds, vs. just lime juice? Do you put any sugar?

Arun I believe is from NoCal. In those parts, a "standard" marg is often a Tommy's Marg (from Tommy's Mexican restaurant in SF).

A Tommy's (which is my go to) is actually a non-classic Marg -- 2 parts tequila, 1 part lime juice, 1 part agave syrup (50/50 agave nectar and water). Purists would call that a tequila sour or tequila daiquiri, definitely not a margarita.

The classic Marg recipe, in contrast, is a 3/2/1 -- 3 tequila, 2 lime, 1 triple sec. Although some people go 3/1/2, 2/1/2, 2/1/1 etc.

There is a group of old classic cocktails that were called Daisies, and Daisies usually featured orange curacao (pretty much the same thing as triple sec). If you want to make a Mexican version of a Daisy, use tequila as your liquor. And translate the word daisy into Spanish -- which is...(wait for it)...margarita!

Or so the story goes.

Last edited:
Darryl, please wish the Mrs. HAPPY BIRTHDAY for me and let us know if she likes the drinks..
I will and thank you.
Need to come up with a good tequila drink.
Reposado shots are fairly traditional at our place but recently we have been trying fancier cocktails.
I need to do this quick as I am going home in 30 minutes!

Last edited:
Having made a lot more margaritas this year, this is my current recipe:

* 8 - 10 oz fruit juice (fresh pineapple juice is my current favorite)
* 2 oz tequila
* 1 lime

This has worked for me. I've also tried it with mango juice, watermelon juice, etc. and I've liked the results.

Back