Sour Cream Biscuits - 1st place state fair 2008 - Quick and Good

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
* Exported from MasterCook *

Keri's Sour Cream Biscuits (1st place, OK State Fair, Tulsa OK, Sept 2008)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads/Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 oz sour cream
3 Tbs buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450.

Blend dry ingredients well. Stir into sour cream and buttermilk and toss gently until moistened - may need just a bit more buttermilk depending on the flour. (Or mix it all up in your food processor - you DO keep it out on the cabinet, don't you???) Dump onto floured cloth and gently fold over on top of itself several times to smooth dough and form layers, adding flour to the cloth as needed to keep dough from sticking. Roll out to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, cut with a sharp biscuit cutter, and bake at 450 until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.

When I first tried these, my espouse-ed one of lo these 24 years Robert declared them some of the best he'd tasted. I'll occasionally also include a teaspoon of baking powder in these, if I want them to pop extra tall.

If you don't have self-rising flour, do what I usually do anyway and in place of the self-rising flour use 2 cups of regular flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons baking powder (preferably Rumford, as it has no aluminum and does not give a metallic whangy aftertaste.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit Sept 24, 2008 - I used this recipe in the OK State Fair in Tulsa this week, and got 1st place with them.
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C

I use a 13x9 metal pan or a cookie sheet, although you can do them in a cast iron skillet if you like. Like most biscuits, if you scoot them close together to where they are just touching their neighbors, they'll rise up higher and stay soft on the sides. If you lay them out an inch and a half or so away from each other, they'll develop slightly crusty sides. I like 'em the first way, Robert likes them the second, so I usually split the difference moving a few close together and leaving the rest spaced out.

You know, I could have answered that question in one word, I guess, but where would the fun have been in that?
icon_smile.gif

Keri C

Just thought I'd update this old thread - just found out yesterday that I won 1st place in the OK State Fair at Tulsa with these biscuits this year!

-Keri

I love seeing a recipe thread with your name as the author Keri C! Congrats on your win and I can't wait to try these.

Congrats Keri!! I'm glad you resurrected this thread; I've got a biscuit-a-holic 13 year old who will graze through a batch in minutes.

Keri,

Made your biscuit recipe this weekend and they came out great! My son finished them off yesterday.

Thanks

Back