New Book - Weber's Smoke: A Guide to Smoke Cooking for Everyone and Any Grill

JamesH

TVWBB Fan
Got an email from Weber about a new book by Jamie Purviance called "Weber's Smoke: A Guide to Smoke Cooking for Everyone and Any Grill."

The Amazon page doesn't have much on it yet other than it is on preorder for $14.93. Release date is April 3rd.

Here's the picture that came with the email with some more details:

smoke-content.jpg

Don't know how correct it is but, listing under product details has this to indicate it is coming out 4/3/2012...

Product Details

Paperback: 192 pages
Publisher: Oxmoor House (April 3, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0376020679
ISBN-13: 978-0376020673

Seems like a cool book.

Vincent.

I just ordered mine. A book by Jamie can't be missed. Can't wait for April. I hope he makes a reference to the TVWSM website and to Chris for running it.

I love those Weber books and I do have several. I bet there are some great recipes and pictures as with all their books but I don't expect it to teach me anything new about real BBQ and smoking that I already don't know from this site. I could be surprised thou.

I've purchased a number of the Weber series books from BJ's - and they're normally offered not too far past the original release date - although I can't see them discounting much more off the Amazon price of 13.17 (as of this writing)....

Back to $14.78 now...

/edited because I put the d word and it got asterisked out. Didn't want y'all to think I was THAT mad over a dollar :p

All-

Good news. I just got an Amazon notification informing me this book will be shipped in the next 10 days. Can't wait since the smoking season is well on its way with all this mild weather.

Mike

I was looking for a Weber Smoke book the other day. Glad to see one coming out. I have Smoke and Spice and BBQ Nation as well as the Rytel sausage references. I say references because I use them for more than cookbooks. I refer to them for complete meal ideas, individual recipes, and history.

Though I haven't had a chance to make anything from the book yet, I thought I'd offer a couple of thoughts on Weber Smoke.

I would say the book is geared to the newcomer to barbecue. The book starts off with an overview of different types of grills (kettle, water smoker, gas(!), offset, and refrigerator) and when they can each be useful. Recipes have an icon on which type of grill fits them best, and the majority of the recipes are best on kettle grills. There were even a few recipes that were recommended for gas grills using a smoker box!

Instructions for lighting kettle and WSM properly were included, as were some recipes for rubs, marinades, brines, and sauces. There are plenty of photos, but I'm not a big fan of the font used for text. It is a little thin for my tastes and looks gray rather than black.

There are recipes in here that are really grilling recipes, so if you're expecting all the recipes to be low and slow 4+ hour cooks, you will be disappointed. There are recipes like that for the WSM though.

For me, I'm happy with the purchase. I don't have a WSM and do all my grilling and smoking on a OTG. So there's lots of ideas for me to try and the recipes aren't too wild and don't look to difficult, though I wish there was more depth when discussing food preparation topics.

If you want to see an example from the book, the current Weber Recipe of the Week for Beer-Braised Short Ribs is from the book.

James-

Great review and I agree this is a good starter book, but what I like about it is the ability to expand my range of smoking options. I have a WSM which I have had for years and now with this book I can try smoking meat other than brisket, ribs and pork butt.

Mike

I thought the book was a good read and the pictures were good. There are some inspiring ideas to get you out of a rut. I'll probably "re-gift" it to someone for Christmas but it is a good beginner book. You'd be surprised how many self proclaimed "grill masters" don't know what a 2-zone fire is or how to use it.

My kids also gave me Rachlin's Best Ribs Ever book for Father's day and I marked five or six unique rib recipes to try.

I have the the weber "real grilling", somewhat basic, and I don't do steaks over high sear anymore, as I learned the reverse and indirect is much better, but some good recipes in there, but pretty basic. My problem is the book itself. On the second read the binding divided into two, and pages started falling out. I've read where this is a common problem, which will prevent me from buying any more weber books.....................d

Last edited:

Back