Official Rules for Battle I

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We haven't had much new in the way of rules suggestions, so things are kind of at a standstill. Here's where I'm at:

we have one secret ingredient. we write the rest into the judging criteria.

judging could go like this:

1) appearance/presentation
2) creativity/use of secret ingredient
3) technique

Each would be worth 3 points, each dish could max at 9, and a team max of 27. An additional 3 points could be awarded as a team score for how well the three dishes work together. The final team total would be 30 points.

1) covers one final, plated photo, as well as 4 photos taken during prep. Judges are looking for good presentation start to finish. This would be similar to how the show discusses dishes as they are made. Teams could post photos, but no comments until a final description of plated dish. Comments during the duration of the contest would be limited to MVP's and non competing board members. After plating, before scoring, the judges can post questions for the competitors.

2) covers creative uses of: secret ingredient, weber grills, fire/smoke, different proteins. More is better.

3) covers how much of the creativity made sense. Did the cooking techniques match the chosen proteins? Does dish appear to be expertly executed? Was the secret ingredient used appropriately?

4) covers the team/meal concept. Was there a theme other than secret ingredient? Was there repetition in any dish, or use of the secret ingredient?

I know Kevin wants to be more specific with the proteins, but I'm not sure that fits with the IC format which only limits dishes by one ingredient. There have been no comments my scoring, so I'm not sure if people are cool with it. By no means is this final, unless we have approval of the combatants and the judges (two of which, I suspect, are still totally in the dark).

I propose unveiling the secret ingredient on 6/1. One team will be required to post 4 photos on each of the following days 6/8, 6/10, and 6/12, the other team must post 6/9, 6/11, and 6/13. The 4 photo post will be shots of prep and cooking of the three dishes, or of just one of the three dishes. No text will be allowed. Any comments must be from the judges, commentator (if we have one), and fellow board members. On 6/14, prior to 12:00 am, each team must post 3 photos of the three final dishes with explanation. The judges can ask questions of the teams, all questions and replies must be completed by 6/16. Scoring can be completed some time after q/a.

The teams for Battle I:

j biesinger
Gary H. NJ
Don Cash

and

Clark Deutscher
Paul Chan
Rob R.

Sorry for my low level of participation, I was laid up with strp throat the last couple of weeks, kind of felt like I was back in grade 1 or something! Anyways thanks for proposing the rules and organizing everything. I think it looks great and we are great as everything is proposed. I do need to get some photography skills now! Should be fun.

It appears we got a little more interest from different people about other teams now, such as team Scandanavia, is there enough interest out there to start a minor bracket to start things? For those who said they weren't sure because they aren't pro's don't worry our team and myself are far from pro's it's all about having a good time and learning from each other!

Clark

Team scandinavia is ready to kick some BUTT. Well only me and Geir so far
icon_wink.gif
(havent acctualy contacted him) But i think Eric will join in aswell. This is just for fun...All members can follow and se another (new) type of posting. And aslong as we have fun and maby share some good ideas of cooking/marinades/Spices/tec we are all winners right?

Looking forward to this! The Winning team if you wanna do it that way. or even a new team can challange TEAM "S" (scandinavia)

And the winner meets the winner of USA/CANADA?

Good luck both teams. AND remember ppl Vote for the dish not the member posting it.

I think we should have one more team step up now! Then we could keep it going, maybe even round robin until a few more teams are willing to play along! All in fun!

Clark

I would love to participate, but my only concern is the timetable. I work full time, and if I'm busy in the weekend, I only have a couple of hours free on days that I work. That makes smoking impossible, as far as I can see.

Does anyone have a solution on this problem, or do I make this more complicated than it is?

I understand the need for a time table.

For me I was just kind of looking at it as having to make one dish within a weeks time. My two team mates would have to do the same. I don't imagine I will do anything that has a really long cook time but if I do I could do that on the weekend. I do have a lot of time on my hands though.....

Clark

For me I was just kind of looking at it as having to make one dish within a weeks time. My two team mates would have to do the same. I don't imagine I will do anything that has a really long cook time but if I do I could do that on the weekend. I do have a lot of time on my hands though.....

right on. this is supposed to be fun, not work.

I think I set is up to run over two weeks with two full weekends in there. And there's no reason why you would have to cook on any day. I assumed we'd have all our stuff cooked and photo'ed ahead of time. The date for photo posts were more to keep people interested over the time period.

Now then, that sounds like something I could manage and have a good time while doing it.

I thought all members of a team was going to do three cooks each in a week..
icon_smile.gif

Time to cue Lamps and Rita in on this.

Lampe is in. Rita, unfortunately cannot participate at this time. I sent an email to Chris hoping he can fill Rita's seat until she has more free time.

Lampe is in. Rita, unfortunately cannot participate at this time. I sent an email to Chris hoping he can fill Rita's seat until she has more free time.

Chris couldn't commit either. It looks like we'll just have Kevin and Jim judge unless someone else has a better idea.

Well i thinkt Jim/Kevin are some of the best judges we have on this board. I think it will be good with only 2. If not do a poll tread and let all members vote?

I volunteer to be the 3rd judge, I figure I have a better chance that way! Just kidding! I would be fine with the third judge just being a vote of forum members. Otherwise we could always appoint a different third judge for each comp, maybe for this one we could take a volunteer.....Geir and / or Mr. Wolgast could be the third judge. I know it would be a little odd given they face off with the eventual winner but I trust them!

Now back to guessing what Jim and Kevin are going to pick for a secret ingredient!

Clark

I really don't want to go to a poll because of the time involved and you would have to wait for that to complete before you could reveal the judges scores.

Maybe we can pick a third judge like they do a jury. If anybody wants to be the third judge, post your qualifications here. Clark and I will have to agree on the selection.

Back