Costco brisket = good quality?

I'm planning on brisket over-nighter tomorrow. I've never done a Costo brisket and was wondering about the quality? I love the quality at Bristol Farms (high end market) but the price per lb is just silly. Thanks.

I have no experience with their briskets, but I frequently buy their steaks. The steaks are consistently very good. I would imagine their briskets would be decent.

I don't believe any of the Costcos sell packers - they are all flats. Something to keep in mind.

Rita

Originally posted by patrick sullivan:
Costco sells packers here. It is hard to find 10-12# packers, though. They are usually smaller. I have had good luck with them, though.
Which one do you shop. Eden prairie only has flats

Good, Choice rating. Nothing amazing.

I just paid $4.99/lb unfortunately for a 5lb flat completely trimmed.

I've had NO problems with WalMart packer briskets (usually anywhere from 8-12 lbs). In my area (suburban Atlanta) they're $2.29/lb.

Suburban Atlanta here too... Where you at? I'm in Woodstock.

The Wal-Mart nearest me has Select packers for around that price but Sams Club has Choice for about the same.

Although you don't have a location
icon_eek.gif
, Bristol Farms puts you in Southern California, maybe San Francisco.

All of the Costco's sell choice grade and usually only flats. The Costco Business center in Commerce had packers the last time I was there. They also have business centers in Hawthorne and Hayward which might also stock packers.

Filling out your location in your profile helps show the diverse population of TVWB and also is helpful in replying to posts.

I get packers from Costco all the time. Usually ranges from $1.90-$2.20/pound. I can't remember if they are graded though, but I can usually find any where from 10-15 pound packers. I feel the quality is good, in general of all Costco meats.

Its possible a regional thing. I'm in Austin, TX and they only sell packers, I've never seen a flat for sale.

Thanks all for the helpful replies and info.

Russell Y....YES! Living in SoCal and very close to Hawthorne.Good idea I will update my profile.

Originally posted by Mark K (MAKDaddy):
Suburban Atlanta here too... Where you at? I'm in Woodstock.

The Wal-Mart nearest me has Select packers for around that price but Sams Club has Choice for about the same.

Down in Douglasville, my friend. We have WalMart and Sams side-by-side. About a 10 minute bike ride or 2 minute drive from my front door.

Ask the people behind the counter, not everything they have is displayed and the flats for $4.99 lb are usually trimmed and tenderized or at least thats what I found out at the Costco here. They had untrimmed flats in the $3.00 range and a few full packers in the $2.00 range but even the guy behind the counter seemed surprised that they had a few packers on hand.

Picked up a decent USDA choice 6lb flat @ Costco (4.99 p/lb). Just rubbed it with Texas BBQ Brisket and now on the smoker. Should be ready by kickoff tomorrow (PST)
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back