'07 Summit

Doug LaFleur

TVWBB Member
Just visited Weber's website; the new models are on display. They look good. Can't wait to see them in person to compare build quality to "old" models. I would appreciate if anyone with information on the 07 models would share their knowledge and comments.

Me too - after saving for 3 years, I finally have enough money to retire my crusty Char-Broil and am looking to get the 6 burner Summit this year.

My problem is that where I live there is no chance at getting a look at a Summit in person. It sounds like they kicked up the BTU's a bit over last year, which I know was one of the complaints. The grill out lights sound cool, especially here in Michigan where it gets dark at around 4:30-5:00 p.m.

Also, it's nice that they went to the SS rods on all of the Summit's this year, that was another concern of mine. Can't wait to get this grill, I am hosting my daughter's open house and our family reunion this summer - it should come in handy.

I think the design changes seem to be for the good of the product, but with a $300 decrease in price, I wonder what's truly happened to the product. I personally haven't seen one yet, so I cannot comment on first hand observations.

The pricing is the big issue for me. You can buy them at the Weber (price fixed) price of $1699 at local dealers, but the "Internet" prices fluctuate. I have seen Platinum D6 models (2006) that were $200 less, with free shipping and no sales tax from a couple of places before the S-650 came out. I investigated one place in NY and they seem to be real and are shipping Weber grills all over the US. They don't appear to be a fly-by-night outfit at all. They might even be drop shipping stuff direct from the Weber factory.

Check the Plat D6 vs. S-650 thread in the Grilling section for some added chat on the S-650.

My personal plan is to get a S-650 I think, even though I am a little concerned about maintenance of the near 100% SS exterior.

I got to spend a day with the new Summit shooting a TV show that will air around Father's day.

I like the new controls. The ignitor automatically fires when you twist the burner control. The propane on the inside is nice. The new wheels are an inprovement if you don't lift the grill. Assemply is a breeze, basically it's assembled just add the side shelf and side burner.

My only minor complaints are the swivel wheels even though improved, they still fall out if you lift the grill. The door magents are still way too weak. The top of the line is smaller than the top of the line I got last year maybe to curb LP consumption.

I'd buy it if I had not got a new one last year.

HTH,

Konrad

Back