Visit to Weber Corporate Offices re: 18" & 22" WSMs

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

On August 25, I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Weber's corporate offices in Palatine, IL.

In a series of meetings throughout the morning, I met with members of the packaging development team, the smoker R&D team, and several product managers for the smoker and for accessories. We discussed a wide variety of topics related to the new 18" and 22" Smokey Mountain Cookers, as well as some general discussion about the smoker market segment in general.

You can read about my trip and see some photos here:

Visit to Weber Corporate Offices

Regards,
Chris

Chris, was the 27 inch kettle discussed/seen? What about a 27 inch WSM?
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allen Sharar:
Chris, was the 27 inch kettle discussed/seen? What about a 27 inch WSM?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Negative to both.

Excellent report, Chris. I had several questions pop up during the reading and every one was answered, well except one
icon_wink.gif

If you have more pics, like inside of the vintage grills, I'd love to see them.

Thanks again!!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Chris,

From the look of the WSMs on the home page, it looks like they changed the door. Does it fit better than the old? Also, any idea if it is the same size and could we order one and use on the old WSM?

Bob

Chris,

I remember seeing that "Texan" on John Ratzenberger's "Made In America" - they wheeled out a bunch of vintage kettles (seville, sequoia, gas kettle etc.). Any pictures???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
If you have more pics, like inside of the vintage grills, I'd love to see them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Those photos were taken by Weber. I was not able to take photos during my visit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
From the look of the WSMs on the home page, it looks like they changed the door. Does it fit better than the old? Also, any idea if it is the same size and could we order one and use on the old WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the door design has changed. I think Weber understands the door fit issue. We'll see if the door fit becomes more consistent moving forward. But don't expect a perfect, airtight door.

I'm under the impression that the access opening in the 18" WSM is the same as before, so I suspect the new door would fit on the current unit. Don't know about ordering them.

Chris, excellent briefing on your visit to Weber, made me a bit envious as it sounds like a lot of fun! It's good to know that Weber thinks highly enough of you and this great community of people that you've brought together to have you out and get your take on the new unit and future direction; quite the compliment. Bravo Chris, thanks for being our voice at Weber!

Lastly, any discussion of a rebate on the new unit for TVWBB members
icon_biggrin.gif

Agreed Larry,
THIS IS AWESOME CHRIS! You had to have been so excited! You are a professional at the core and respected by many. Its nice to see that because of you they clearly acknowledge their fan base, and ARE listening. Great read, you truely have a wonderful community here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, what about the TVWB discount? Not to mention "first dibs"??
icon_wink.gif

edit: your our WSM ambassador

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Chris, excellent briefing on your visit to Weber, made me a bit envious as it sounds like a lot of fun! It's good to know that Weber thinks highly enough of you and this great community of people that you've brought together to have you out and get your take on the new unit and future direction; quite the compliment. Bravo Chris, thanks for being our voice at Weber!

Lastly, any discussion of a rebate on the new unit for TVWBB members
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto to Larry's comments above. Your coverage, documentary and detailed is over the top. Thanks for the representation, this site and all that you do to keep us informed!

From the story about the visit to Weber HQ, "and some other ideas that I probably can't go into here (I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement) but ideas that could potentially add interest, fun, and functionality to the smoker product line."

Hmmmm, could Weber be considering an offset or similar type model? Unfortunately Chris can't say anything.

Chris, Once again GREAT JOB. It really shows that weber pays attention to you and the great job you do with this site. Keep the great information coming and enjoy the great perks that you have earned.

Outstanding write-up Chris. Any mention of handles on the lower cooking grate? If Big Brother is reading, handles would be so nice on the lower cooking grate, please! Any mention of a cart? Eyelits would be really, really great also.
I'm all for TVWBB members getting first dibs on the 22's, would be way cool. Many Thanks for all you do for us Chris.

Good post Chris!

Did it ever occur to you some ten years ago that a little project you were creating called the Virtual Weber Bullet would land you at the Weber Corporate HQ discussing product improvements? Must be fun for you!
icon_cool.gif

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Any mention of handles on the lower cooking grate? Eyelits would be really, really great also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As I said in my write-up, handles on the middle cooking section and bottom grate are features that Weber does not want to add for safety reasons. If provided, they will tempt you to do something that Weber does not want you to do mid-cook, and they don't want to be blamed if anyone has a mishap.

I did tell them that an eyelet was a feature that would be appreciated by many, and explained the importance of it, especially for those of you with ATC devices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As I said in my write-up, handles on the middle cooking section and bottom grate are features that Weber does not want to add for safety reasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I completely understand the handels on the mid section as being a huge safety factor. Not seeing any issues with safety for the lower cooking grate though. JMO. I have a welder, and will have handles. LOL! Won't be chromed though, that's a bummer.

Back