Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: No. 5 Sauce

TVWBB Pro
    I was going to start a post for a review of #5...then I saw this one so I'll just add my comments here.

As a foreword, I have to inform you that I am originally from NJ...but I did do 3 tours at Ft, Bragg, NC during my 37 combined years of Active Army and Civil Service.

That said...I DO NOT like a lot of vinegar...(wine on the other hand...). So, knowing that some amount of vinegar is beneficial to the taste buds I made a batch of #5 the other day and it's all gone.

The only changes I made (not liking vinegar) was reducing the vinegar by half...1/4 Cup, and not adding meat drippings. (The PP was from a previous session). I'll have to do another session (or two) before the snow flies to make it through the winter.

OK, MY REVIEW: FANTASTIC FLAVOR! It surprised the hell out of me. It checked off all the flavor boxes. We will be making this again. Thanks, Steve.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

TVWBB Diamond Member
    Another batch of No.5 Sauce today. I am so please so many have embraced sauce making since I stumbled on this simple formula.
    Questions about your additions...Have you tried:

Dried or frozen cherries or maybe pineapple (perhaps added to vinegar and processed in a blender before adding to sauce) ?

Butt Rub for Jane has been a guide for me...has anyone tried any of the many curries for a rub base used in No.5 ?

Old vintage honey-the deep dark stuff ?

Share whats been your most recent favorite.
    Last edited by Steve Petrone; 02-18-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Peach Kissed Q

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Petrone View Post
    Another batch of No.5 Sauce today. I am so please so many have embraced sauce making since I stumbled on this simple formula.
    Questions about your additions...Have you tried:

Dried or frozen cherries or maybe pineapple (perhaps added to vinegar and processed in a blender before adding to sauce) ?

Butt Rub for Jane has been a guide for me...has anyone tried any of the many curries for a rub base used in No.5 ?

Old vintage honey-the deep dark stuff ?

Share whats been your most recent favorite.
    I guess I need to be more adventurous with it. I've pretty much stuck to the basics with whatever rub I'm using. Good stuff!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334