Biscuits and gravy

Scott Dace

TVWBB Super Fan
I found this little breakfast/lunch joint down in Onset village Massachusetts this past summer and they served the best Biscuits and gravy I have ever had. (I was stationed in TX years ago and had that for B'fast almost every morning). I've been looking for the recipe for the gravy but none I found had the chopped onion in it as did this one. Anyone have a recipe of B&G with onion?

Not sure this really calls for a "recipe" Scott. Just add some onion to most any gravy! It could be raw, or cooked down, depending on the flavor you want.

JimT

For better flavor go with cooked - at least till nicely softened. For sweeter, denser flavor allow some or all of the onion to brown at least to a light golden.

Add the onion just before the sausage finishes browning.

For color interest and a little sweetness I add a couple tbls very finely minced red bell pepper. Optional.

I make a pound-quart mix when I make it, i.e., for 1 pound of bulk sausage I use 1 quart of milk. Brown the sausage breaking it up well with a fork as it cooks. Add the onion (I use about .5-.75 cup, very finely chopped) and allow to soften well - or brown, your choice. If using, add the red bell during the last minute or two of the onion cooking. If you must, drain the excess fat. (I never do.)

Slowly whisk in 6-8 tbls of flour. Keep stirring the flour as you allow it to cook - a good 2, 3, 4 minutes - till its aroma is toasty. Very slowly at the beginning add the milk, whisking very well as you go, then you can increase the speed as it combines well with the flour and meat. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire and some salt and pepper Bring to a simmer, cook several minutes. Reduce if you want it thicker. Taste, adjust salt and pepper; serve.

Back