Rework Silver B or upgrade to new EP-330

Robb Kruger

TVWBB Member
Hey guys... I am having some trouble deciding, and while I think I know where this conversation may go (awry) I still am looking for some honest thoughts and suggestions.

I have a pretty decent Silver B that has been a go to weeknight grill for almost 10 years. It has the original cast iron grates, and the thermoset tables. But the Minnesota winters have been tough on it. I try to keep it covered, and while that keeps the outside nice, I think the heating/cooling/condensation cycles have played havoc with the insides.

Last year I replaced the burners and the igniter, and if I am going to keep it, the grates and flavorizer bars should be replaced as the cast iron is beginning to flate/delaminate badly. As this is the wife's "go to" when I am traveling for business, I need it to be push button reliable, and I do like the heat it throws for searing t-bones and sirloins.

So here's the deal... I have these award dollars that I can use at Amazon and I am contemplating going after an EP-330 rather than refurbing my Silver B, but I just can't pull the trigger on the side-side burner arrangement. I like the side burner, I like the sear station idea, but the three burner Silver is great for indirect on turkey and an occasional beer can chicken feed.

You guys aren't shy... what do you think?

5410_1203868865653_1496574710_554032_6637980_n.jpg

I was in that same boat about a year and a half ago. I had your exact grill and wasn't sure if I needed to upgrade to an S320. I happened to find an S320 on craigslist for a reasonable price so I bought it. I kept my silver B in my shed for a couple of months to make sure I was really happy with the newer grill and I was. I ended up selling my Silver B on craigslist.

In all honestly I like everything about my S320 better with the exception of the side tables. I REALLY liked the fold down thermoset tables on that Silver B. On one side on my grill I have control knobs so I obviously can't put any plates there. The other side is the side burner so if I'm using the side burner then I have nowhere to put plates. That won't be a problem for you if you get one of the newest models with the knobs in the front. And you have the ability to add more side tables with the newest model too. I'd say go for the upgrade.

Tough call. Either way you wind up with a great grill. Just about the only thing I use my side burner for is lighting a charcoal charcoal chimney. You cover that with your Performer. Does the newer grill have a liner in the hood? That provides a performance benefit. And the north/south burner configuration is better for indirect cooking, though a kettle is better yet. For 'counter space' you can just roll the Performer next to the gasser.

Another option: Keep the B and refurb as needed with stainless flavorizers and new igniter etc. Use the Amazon points for a WSM. There's a gaping hole in your collection there!

Nice six pack, BTW.

I appreciate all of the responses...here as well as over at "the Source".

Tonight I plopped down some serious dough at the local Ace. EP330 in black, rotisserie, Grill Out light, and cover. It will be delivered tomorrow assembled, shined up, with a full tank of LP. I really thought I was going to order online, but after being in the new Ace store up the road, meeting the owner, and then he offered to sweeten the deal with a comp'd cover and tank of LP... even with the sales tax it was a better deal, and I think I have cemented a new friendship in the neighborhood.

I really didn't think I could beat online pricing... but I did. And I don't have to assemble.

Pics tomorrow
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If I were to buy a gasser the ep-330 would be the exact one I would get. With all the SS they're about as indestructible as a grill is likely to get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robb Kruger:
Pics tomorrow
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm calling you out on this.
icon_wink.gif

That's a pretty nice grill. Does this one have the SS grates and flavorizers? I suppose that's not a big deal as you can always upgrade to that in the future if they ever need replacement. I have some cast iron grates and they're my favorites. The light is pretty nice for grilling this time of year. I got one for my gassers so I can see what I'm doing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Geesch... tough crowd, tough crowd

Hank... no food on it yet. Will be in a few hours. The EP "Special Edition" comes with the SS innards. So far I have had it up past 650 and wiped some lard across the grates. Looking forward to "learning" how to use this one.

Kevin... I went b ack and forth over the last few months... E-470 or EP-330. I just couldn't get over the extra $1K for the IR rotisserie burner and a smoker box. I think this is sorta baby-Summit.

426188_398986853451208_100000196899814_1752220_708938480_n.jpg

427629_398987460117814_100000196899814_1752236_1779604392_n.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robb Kruger:
First cook.. something simple that the kids love on a Saturday. Sweet and spicy wings.

404932_399044196778807_100000196899814_1752332_2046078347_n.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very nice! I'm sure you'll get plenty of good meals off that.

I'll be firing up my Silver A in a few minutes to grill some cauliflower and asparagus and toast the buns for our ham sandwiches.

Carefully not hitting the stucco with you lid all the way up.

This thing can definitely lay down the sear marks!
396529_399938793356014_100000196899814_1756196_1693153330_n.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that is something to watch. The Silver I had here did not need as much clearance as the EP330 does. I may pick up a grill mat so that it doesn't inadvertently get pushed back. the casters lock it down well.

Here is today's question... anyone tried 2 chickens at once on their roto? I have done it with good success on the kettle, but I wonder if I can make it work in this firebox...

Here is today's question... anyone tried 2 chickens at once on their roto? I have done it with good success on the kettle, but I wonder if I can make it work in this firebox... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did two on my Silver A. The only problem was that I had only two spit forks and in the middle where the birds were relatively unsupported, they flopped around on the spit.

Back