Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: Bacon made easy

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Pretty sure he's misspelling "cured" Check your keyboard, us dyslexics need to hang together
    Ray
    WSMPerformerGenesis 1000

TVWBB Fan
    Just did my first batch of bacon and I’m never going back to store bought! Next round, I’d like to do a bourbon brown sugar. Can I put the bourbon in with the cure or will then screw up the chemicals reactions?
    Eric Mann
    Happy Beetle BBQ

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    The salty taste some get, if properly rinsed/soaked, puzzles me.
    I rinse, rub under running water, and soak only for a few minutes changing the water a few times and it's not at all salty, and I'm not one who likes things salty.
    I have same experience
    Ive been sprinkling salt ON my bacon
    Its not salty at all imo

It seem to me that too much brown sugar affects the ability to get crispy though. Only did 3 batches from same belly, first was better than next two . Meat was definitely sweeter and not crispy on last two. I think all i did different was likely more brown sugar.
    Last edited by MartinB; 03-15-2019 at 07:58 AM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Seem to me the bacon cooked better after being frozen.

Anyone else notice or have opinion on this? Seemed more ...relaxed, pliable.

And....got me a globe 10" slicer from fleabay, so ill be slicing a lil more consistently in future. Should improve cooking too .

I had a few big ones near me for real good prices, shame i cant move around a 90 lb slicer. One woman almost begged me to buy her 12" 90lb univex for a song. I think this little globe gc-10 will be perfect for pork loin, bacon, pastrami, etc. 1/3 hp, medium duty slicer. 9.5" wide tray. Got a pastrami smoking right now...
    Last edited by MartinB; 04-26-2019 at 07:46 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Another 11 lbs of belly made into bacon and vac sealed.
    Learnt a few things

On some , didnt use brown sugar, just added some maple syrup to bag. There is lots sugar in tenderquick. Still taste sweetness. Not as heavy....but doesnt burn like the brown sugar infused stuff. Cooks better. Meat slicer worked awesome. My cut length is about 9.5", so i just lift front a tad and drop into blade to get last inch started. Nice long thin uniform slices. World of difference for cooking compared to hand hacked...i mean cut. Pepper is good.

Made sure to get more smoke into this batch too. Didnt cold smoke, but did mostly low temp so it took 12 hrs. Much smokier than first belly.

Again , i have to put salt on the bacon. I have no idea how anyones bacon comes out salty unless they use too much cure. Or are bad at rinsing.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPOFh_aAXqTRFQN1GyoHs4r3vfBhInsMWmeRQX_
    Last edited by MartinB; 05-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051