Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Bacon made easy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Hi Dan,
    I used my 18" WSM for that smoke, but I often use my 22" kettle for bacon.
    Since you live in Florida, and it is summer, I'd go with one row.
    That should get you in the 140 to 160 degree range.
    I do suggest using Kingsford briquettes since they light well off each other.
    If the temp starts getting above 165 you can always remove some of the lit coals.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Hi Dan,
    I used my 18" WSM for that smoke, but I often use my 22" kettle for bacon.
    Since you live in Florida, and it is summer, I'd go with one row.
    That should get you in the 140 to 160 degree range.
    I do suggest using Kingsford briquettes since they light well off each other.
    If the temp starts getting above 165 you can always remove some of the lit coals.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the quick reply, Bob!! Now, I'm curious about something else. Is there any advantage cooking-wise to using the kettle? I was planning on doing it on my WSM 18 to season it up. But, I also have a 22" kettle. Any advantage to the kettle? Do you run the probes through the top vent?
    22" Weber Kettle; 18" Weber Kettle; Big Brother: 18" Weber Smokey Mountain ; and Brand New Baby Brother 14" Weber Smokey Mountain

Dan,
    Using a kettle is just easier for me to control everything, either one will do a fine job.
    If I use my Maverick, on a kettle, the probe wires go gently under the lid's rim.

Dumb question: The cook is all done. I just need to slice it. Unfortunately, all my knives aren't the greatest. Has anyone tried slicing it with an electric carving knife? That might be my best option.
    22" Weber Kettle; 18" Weber Kettle; Big Brother: 18" Weber Smokey Mountain ; and Brand New Baby Brother 14" Weber Smokey Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C. FL View Post
    Dumb question: The cook is all done. I just need to slice it. Unfortunately, all my knives aren't the greatest. Has anyone tried slicing it with an electric carving knife? That might be my best option.
    I think some folks use them.
    Damn Dan, whack off a few pieces with your Swiss Army knife, and get to eating!
    Please report your opinion too.
    Last edited by Bob Correll; 07-09-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    I think folks some use them.
    Damn Dan, whack off a few pieces with your Swiss Army knife, and get to eating!
    Please report your opinion too.
    I found a 14" carving knife I didn't know I had. The first pound is gone. Full report in the phot gallery tomorrow. Spoiler: Sooo good!!!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Just want to say thank you to Bob Correll for turning me on to LEM Products for getting my Morton Tender Quick. I have been buying it from Amazon at almost $15.00 for two pounds and the fact I don't have a prime membership with Amazon another $6.00 for shipping for just over $20.00 delivered. Through LEM it was $5.95 for two pounds and $5.95 for shipping for a total of $11.94 quite a savings over Amazon.
    The transaction with LEM Products was quick and easy and delivered in 5 days.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Just want to say thank you to Bob Correll for turning me on to LEM Products for getting my Morton Tender Quick. I have been buying it from Amazon at almost $15.00 for two pounds and the fact I don't have a prime membership with Amazon another $6.00 for shipping for just over $20.00 delivered. Through LEM it was $5.95 for two pounds and $5.95 for shipping for a total of $11.94 quite a savings over Amazon.
    The transaction with LEM Products was quick and easy and delivered in 5 days.
    I got mine at Walmart....

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950