Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Bacon made easy

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Pretty sure he's misspelling "cured" Check your keyboard, us dyslexics need to hang together
    Ray
    WSMPerformerGenesis 1000

TVWBB Fan
    Just did my first batch of bacon and I’m never going back to store bought! Next round, I’d like to do a bourbon brown sugar. Can I put the bourbon in with the cure or will then screw up the chemicals reactions?
    Eric Mann
    Happy Beetle BBQ

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    The salty taste some get, if properly rinsed/soaked, puzzles me.
    I rinse, rub under running water, and soak only for a few minutes changing the water a few times and it's not at all salty, and I'm not one who likes things salty.
    I have same experience
    Ive been sprinkling salt ON my bacon
    Its not salty at all imo

It seem to me that too much brown sugar affects the ability to get crispy though. Only did 3 batches from same belly, first was better than next two . Meat was definitely sweeter and not crispy on last two. I think all i did different was likely more brown sugar.
    Last edited by MartinB; 03-15-2019 at 07:58 AM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Seem to me the bacon cooked better after being frozen.

Anyone else notice or have opinion on this? Seemed more ...relaxed, pliable.

And....got me a globe 10" slicer from fleabay, so ill be slicing a lil more consistently in future. Should improve cooking too .

I had a few big ones near me for real good prices, shame i cant move around a 90 lb slicer. One woman almost begged me to buy her 12" 90lb univex for a song. I think this little globe gc-10 will be perfect for pork loin, bacon, pastrami, etc. 1/3 hp, medium duty slicer. 9.5" wide tray. Got a pastrami smoking right now...
    Last edited by MartinB; 04-26-2019 at 07:46 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Another 11 lbs of belly made into bacon and vac sealed.
    Learnt a few things

On some , didnt use brown sugar, just added some maple syrup to bag. There is lots sugar in tenderquick. Still taste sweetness. Not as heavy....but doesnt burn like the brown sugar infused stuff. Cooks better. Meat slicer worked awesome. My cut length is about 9.5", so i just lift front a tad and drop into blade to get last inch started. Nice long thin uniform slices. World of difference for cooking compared to hand hacked...i mean cut. Pepper is good.

Made sure to get more smoke into this batch too. Didnt cold smoke, but did mostly low temp so it took 12 hrs. Much smokier than first belly.

Again , i have to put salt on the bacon. I have no idea how anyones bacon comes out salty unless they use too much cure. Or are bad at rinsing.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPOFh_aAXqTRFQN1GyoHs4r3vfBhInsMWmeRQX_
    Last edited by MartinB; 05-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.

TVWBB Fan

I tried it, she likes it!

Dear Bob,

Thank you for starting this thread. I recently bought a pellet grill and found a lonely pork belly at my local market. I knew my buddy from this board, and from fishing, Rolf Jacobsen had made your recipe for bacon on his WSM so I asked, what do I do? He sent me a link to this page and I read the first post and figured, let's see what happens?

I cheated a little and did a wet brine with apple juice and your ingredients. I cheated even more, and smoked it on my Traeger. All that aside, I never would have even attempted to make my own bacon had you not shared your recipe. I let my wife cook up a few slices for a BLT about 20 minutes ago. Her words, "I wish that sandwich never ended!"

Thanks again for sharing this Bob! I need to find more pork belly now!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Tim,
    You, and your wife just made my day!
    I'm glad the method worked well for you.
    Some Costco's are carrying pork bellies, if you have one near you.
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Another 11 lbs of belly made into bacon and vac sealed.
    Learnt a few things

On some , didnt use brown sugar, just added some maple syrup to bag. There is lots sugar in tenderquick. Still taste sweetness. Not as heavy....but doesnt burn like the brown sugar infused stuff. Cooks better. Meat slicer worked awesome. My cut length is about 9.5", so i just lift front a tad and drop into blade to get last inch started. Nice long thin uniform slices. World of difference for cooking compared to hand hacked...i mean cut. Pepper is good.

Made sure to get more smoke into this batch too. Didnt cold smoke, but did mostly low temp so it took 12 hrs. Much smokier than first belly.

Again , i have to put salt on the bacon. I have no idea how anyones bacon comes out salty unless they use too much cure. Or are bad at rinsing.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPOFh_aAXqTRFQN1GyoHs4r3vfBhInsMWmeRQX_
    Sorry Martin, I'm just now seeing your post.
    Yes, cooking the sweetened bacon can be a challenge keeping it from burning and curling.
    I suggest trying it in the oven, or at least start with a cold skillet and keep the heat reduced to moderate.

Saltiness, like many tastes, vary from person to person, and by what they're used to.
    If you make more, try only giving it one quick, but thorough, rinse.
    Also, try MTQ only, that should cut down on the sweetness. IMO most other flavors are lost when it gets rinsed.
    Good luck!
    and a Pit Boss Kamado

TVWBB Fan

I'm glad I made you smile Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Tim,
    You, and your wife just made my day!
    I'm glad the method worked well for you.
    Some Costco's are carrying pork bellies, if you have one near you.
    Dear Bob,

I'd love to make bacon more often, and will, thanks to your post that started this thread.

Just to add, for anyone that is thinking of making their own bacon, if I can do it anyone can. That said, start small and work your way up. It really was quite easy to make, but I don't want anyone to run out and buy a ton of pork bellies just because I said it worked for me!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Can I make a decent pork belly bacon simply by following Bob's thread #1, or do I need to read-through all 500+ threads in this highly-popular post? What is considered the maximum-allowable temp for cold smoking, and can I do this at a higher temp due to 80-90 degree Fahrenheit summer temps? Thanks.

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast