Reuben Meatloaf

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
My family's favorite. Even the Sauerkraut haters eat it!

Reuben Meatloaf

1 egg beaten
1 Tablespoon ketchup
2/3 cup saltine cracker crumbs
1/3 cup milk
2 pounds lean ground beef (85%)
1 can (14.5oz) sauerkraut, drained well
4 oz shaved thin deli pastrami, chopped
1 cup, 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard

In a large bowl, mix eggs, ketchup, the panade.
The panade is the 2/3 cup saltine cracker crumbs and the 1/3 cup milk mixed together in a food processor. Add the 2 pounds of meat to the panade and pulse 10 times for 1 second each.
Add this to the above and set aside.

In another bowl combine the kraut, pastrami, cheese, sour cream and mustard.

Next spread out the meat mix on a sheet of parchment paper. Then spread out the kraut and cheese mixture on the meat.

Roll that up jelly roll style and seal the ends and main seem.

Place on an indirect grill at 350 deg F seem side down. Cook until internal temp is 160 deg F.

Let stand stand 15 minutes before slicing.

The photos

You may want to link the photos here, because posts to Photo Gallery eventually get deleted.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
You may want to link the photos here, because posts to Photo Gallery eventually get deleted.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I guess this is why I could not find a post from a couple of years ago.

Here we go step by step.
First I take the typical meat, panade, egg and seasoning and mix it. Then it is spread out on some parchment paper and topped with a mixture of sauerkraut, swiss cheese, pastrami, sour cream and mustard.

120606a.jpg

The next step is to roll it up and seal the ends and edge. Then it is transfered to a clean piece of parchment paper that is trimmed and placed on a baking sheet.

120606c.jpg

This is the reason for the parchment paper. It makes for a nice easy means of transfer from the sheet pan to the grill. Once on the grill the excess is trimmed off. I leave it under the loaf for the first half of the cook so the meat doesnt start slipping in between the grate. Can any one spot my screw up yet?

120606d.jpg

Yep, that's right, I put it on seem side up. This caused it to open up. Still looks good to me!

120606e.jpg

The money shot with 4 bean salad and a pile of horseradish.

120606f.jpg

Glad I found this thread. Am going to make this in the morning and have a few questions.

Why do you use Pastrami instead of corn beef?

Why do you not use a glaze of some sort on the top of the loaf?

Why are there no seasoning in the loaf? Salt, pepper and other herbs or spices? Do you feel the meat , cheese, kraut, mustard, ketchup and salt in the crackers is enough seasoning? Seems like it would need some pepper?

Thanks in advance, Maxwell

Any one still making this? Are there any improvements to report.

It came out pretty good the first time. I added more seasoning. Any new ideas to add to this cook? Thanks

Speaking of meatloaves, how did I miss this? Sounds real good, going in the make soon folder.

Back