Lump Cleanup – quick, easy and clean.

Chuck R

TVWBB Fan
Being basically lazy, well, really lazy, I am always looking to make things easier. This is my new way of cleaning up and saving the lump after a cook. I am sure it would also work with briquettes.

First, I bought the Weber #72501 Charcoal Grate, and combining the “Preventing Lump Charcoal From Falling Through The Grate” and “Separating Leftover Coals From Ashes” tips found in the “Operating Tips and Modifications” section, by wiring the two grates and the charcoal ring all together making one unit.

After the coals cooled down, I took a 10 gallon trash can liner . . .
10Galliners.jpg

and lined a 5 gallon plastic bucket.
Lining5galbucket.jpg

I set the grill/ring assembly on the bucket and pulled the liner up over the sides of the assembly. It is a perfect fit.
Grateringassemblyinliner.jpg

I stirred the lump with a poker and the ashes fell out of the assembly into the bucket.
stiringtheashes.jpg

I now have clean “leftovers” to use for my next smoke.
Theresults.jpg

Ashes are ready to tie up and throw away.
Cleanandeasy.jpg

George,

I agree 100%. I got rid of my ash bucket when I bought a home with a gas fireplace. I looked at the local fireplace store and they wanted $100 for one. I’m still looking..

lowes and hd have small metal cans like trash cans that are about the same size. if not check orchard supply or farm stores. its what i have and a lot cheaper than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
lowes and hd have small metal cans like trash cans that are about the same size. if not check orchard supply or farm stores. its what i have and a lot cheaper than that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one I have is about 6 gallons, galvanized, with a tight fitting lid. I think I gave about $20 for it at a local hardware store a few years ago. Look around, you'll find something.
icon_smile.gif

I have to agree. I once cleaned out my woodstove using a plastic bucket and guess what happened when I was crossing our new $3000.00 linoleum kitchen floor? You guessed it!

I find that stirring them can break them up into little pieces that are lost.
Instead, I dump the charcoal and ashes onto a 2 foot square of 1/2x1/2" hardware cloth. I let the ashes fall to the ground, but the same bucket+bag or ash bucket or whatever could be used.
(BTW, There's an easy way to tell if the coals are still lit: touch them.)
That frees up the grates for the fresh charcoal on the bottom (which I much prefer) and I can pour the used ones back on top and/or into my chimney as starter.

the hardware cloth idea came from this pic from Brian Moriarty posted here in another thread
100_2629.jpg

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/7430071475?r=5070022475#5070022475 </pre>

Back