Rubs for Ribs

Mikey K

I've read a lot on rubs and am struggling to find the right mix of spices. I have felt that the rubs I've been making have been bland. Do you have a advice of spices I could use to get more flavor out of my ribs. Also, what wood type would you suggest? I have been using cherry and apple. Thanks.

Mike,

I've come to believe that there is no perfect spice rub. Our personal tastes can vary so much. I have my favorites for spices in a rub. One of them is smoked paprika. It certainly isn't bland and, if you use it in the right proportions on smoked meat, it nicely echoes the smokiness of the meat. Here is a rub recipe from my new book, "Weber's Smoke" (available a retailer near you). It comes from my "Best-on-the-Block Baby Back Ribs."

2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Good luck with that. Give it a try and then adjust it to your tastes. Make it your own.

Thanks,
Jamie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim McKelvey:
Jamie
That rub sounds great. For application are you talking a dusting or a heavy coating?
Thanks - Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I'll be trying that one out.

Rich

Back