RO briquette quality

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
I've been using Royal Oak briquettes (the red bag from Menards) on & off for the last several years. It always seemed to burn as well as Kingsford at a much lower cost.

But since this summer, it seems the quality of RO briquettes has changed. I can't get an overnight cook from a fully loaded charcoal ring and end up with massive amounts of ash in the morning.

Has anyone else noticed a change with Royal Oak?

I never liked the RO briquettes

I have a half bag in my pantry right now, and yet have serveral bags of lump that I use regularly.

Compared to the Kingsford, I think they performed just as adiqutely and it is more affordable.

I've noticed that my last couple of bags have like small chunks of unburned pieces of wood mixed into the briqs.
I never noticed that before, and I always buy my RO ( lump and briqs ) @ Menards.

I find it a little strange that Menards only carries 8.8 Lb bags of RO lump, but WM or KM has the 10 LB bags, but Menards has the 18 LB bags of brigs, but WM or KM has the 10 LB bags or smaller, ( well at least out my way )
Could it be they changed their formula also?

Tim

ro sometimes has little pieces but not an issue. where was yer bag made at ? the bag weights are just marketing sizes. i see both small and big around. wal mart and k mart have the 10 lb ones.

where was yer bag made at ?

In the USA.
The wood pcs are smaller than a pea, but they are part of the briquettes, like they were mixed into the batch.
I just noticed it on the last 2 bags, sorta like brown sprinkles.
Kinda weird.
Tim

Yep, noticed it yesterday. Full ring plus of Royal Oak charcoal. It was struggling after 8 hours to maintain heat.First time I've had that problem. Ended up having to pull butts off and finish in oven.

Back