Chuck-eye roasts on the kettle

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
The wife just brought home some 3 lb. chuck eye roasts,boneless,great price. Thinking on putting 2 on the 22.5 OTG for tomorrow,any thoughts or suggestion's

Given that it's cold and rainy here today I'd probably go the pot roast route. I'd defintely include some red wine, fresh herbs etc.....Just my $.02

Clark

Pulled beef is a beautiful thing. Smoked a chuck roast two weeks ago and the pulled beef from it had fabulous flavor. Have one more small pack in the freezer, so I'll have to do more chuck soon. Highly recommend it

Though I loved pulled beef, it's not something I do with chuck eyes (nor chuck top blades). Those I prefer to roast to medium rare and slice thinly for roast beef. If that's an interest, salt and pepper the roast then brown in hot oil (I use evoo) in a pan. Remove the roast, sprinkle on the rub of choice, if desired, then move to the kettle and slow cook at ~250 to an internal of ~115, indirect. Meanwhile, when the roast nears 105 or so, light a chimney of fuel.

When the roast hit the 115 area, quickly remove the kettle lid and dump the lit fuel, splitting it half and half on the sides, through the grate flaps (if you have a solid grate, remove it and the meat and dump the fuel, returning the grate with the meat). Continue cooking at the highest temp you can muster, still indirect of course, till the roast reaches 130; remove, tent with foil and rest 15-20 min; slice thinly to serve.

After you brown the meat and it is in the kettle, add a little unsalted butter to the pan you brwoned the meat in and saute a finely chopped shallot or two, or 1/2-3/4 c finely chopped onion, over moderate heat, till soft. Add some fresh or dried thyme and a bay leaf while the onion cooks. When it is soft, add a minced or pressed clove of garlic and 1/2-3/4 c wine (I use sauv blanc here, usually) and increase the heat to med-high. Deglaze the pan, scraping up the browned bits, and reduce the wine to 1 T. (If you have any brady or cognac flame a T or 2 at this point.)

Add 1 T Dijon and whisk very well. Add 2 t Worcestershire and 3/4 c homemade beef stock (or 1/2 c canned low-salt chicken stock plus 1/4 c canned beef stock) and bring to a simmer, whisking well. Remove the bay leaf and reserve off heat.

When the roast is done and resting, heat the reserved sauce over low heat in a flat saute pan. Just before slicing, drain any accumulated juices from the rested meat into the pan, stir, then stab a T of butter on a fork and stir the sauce with the fork, allowing the butter to slowly melt and emulsify with the sauce. Repeat with another piece of butter, turn off heat under the sauce, adjust sauce seasoning, slice the beef thinly; serve, passsing the sauce on the side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
The wife just brought home some 3 lb. chuck eye roasts,boneless,great price. Thinking on putting 2 on the 22.5 OTG for tomorrow,any thoughts or suggestion's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think these are called eye of round roasts in my neck of the woods, though I could be wrong. If they are the eye of rounds (which look like pork loins, same cut), which have no fat in the meat (like pork loins), just a thin layer on one side, I have done them many times indirect on the Master Touch to no more than medium, or they will be tough. I just bank the coals on both sides with my baskets and put a foil pan under the roast, they come out fantastic. I just use salt & pepper, granulated garlic & onion for the rub.

Eye of round is a different cut. It comes from the round, between the top, bottom and knuckle (aka sirloin tip). It is fairly lean, but is the most tender round cut.

Chuck eye comes from the chuck and is right next to the where the rib-eye starts (chuck eye is the meat from ribs 1-5; rib-eye is 6-12). Though not as tender as rib-eye, it is very flavorful and has more plentiful marbling and fat deposits than cuts from the round. Often braised, if of good quality it can be roasted instead.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Eye of round is a different cut. It comes from the round, between the top, bottom and knuckle (aka sirloin tip). It is fairly lean, but is the most tender round cut.

Chuck eye comes from the chuck and is right next to the where the rib-eye starts (chuck eye is the meat from ribs 1-5; rib-eye is 6-12). Though not as tender as rib-eye, it is very flavorful and has more plentiful marbling and fat deposits than cuts from the round. Often braised, if of good quality it can be roasted instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK KK Thanks for the info, my bad.
icon_frown.gif

Timothy, dissregard my post, it's no use to you.
icon_redface.gif

Back