how long to leave the Polder in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
When cooking a brisket, is it a good idea to just leave the Polder thermo. in the entire time? Also, if I'm cooking only one brisket should I place it on the top grill or the bottom or does it even matter?
Larry

I have only used my WSM 5 times, so weigh my information accordingly. I am responding mostly because no one else has, and I wouldn't mind a comment or two on my observations so far.

It seems that I tend to run hot no matter what method I use. Maybe because it is summer, I dont' really know. My temp ranges between 300 and 250 (at the lid). Because of this, I like to use the lower grill.

Another advangage I see in the lower grill is that you can take a peek at your meat. I try to never take off the lid, but I open the access panel at least every hour to check the water. It is kind of nice to be able to see about how things are coming along.

I have been placing my Polder in an hour or two before I gestimate that what I am cooking may be done. Reducing the cable to wear and tear seems like a logical way to prolong its life.

I have noticed that a slight amount of smoke/steam will escape if you place the cord under the lid. Because of this, I have been using the lower grill, and sliding the Polder cable through the upper left or right hand gap in the corner of the access panel. It has worked ok so far. You just have to be careful when you remove and replace the panel.

Try not to worry too much. The WSM seems to be very forgiving.

-Rob

It doesn't really matter when you put the Polder in. I do it both ways, depending on my mood or my forgetfulness. If you put it in from the start, you can watch how the internal temp progresses. It's always interesting to note the initial fast rise in temp, followed by a long, slow plateau where internal temp barely rises over many hours, then reaching your final internal temp.

When cooking only one item, I cook on the top grate for easier access and sometimes the higher temp--with the exception of beer butt chicken or a turkey which I do alone on the lower grate.

Regards,
Chris

I too use the top rack when cooking just a couple of items. Easy access is the key for me.

I try to avoid opening the access door...it is a very big opening and allows a huge amount of air to feed the coals. There should be no need to check the water every hour. I have upgraded to the Brinkman charcoal pan, but my old Weber pan was good for an entire 6 hour rib cook.

Now, you can use the access door for jacking up the temp....just watch the temp start rising after about 5 minutes. I have had to use this if my temps are held down by large loads of meat.

As to the Polder, I always place mine under the lid with no ill effects. As Chris said, if you are interested in seeing the progress of the meat temps, then leave it in the entire time. Otherwise, I check near the end of the cook when the meat should be closer to being done.

Finally, as I discussed in a previous post, the temp in a brisket may be very misleading. Use the probe as a poking device to check for tenderness...it should slide in and out very easily.

Good Luck to you!

I always cook on the top if I only need one rack (this doesn't seem to happen that often!).

I leave the probe in the meat from the start, feeding the wire out the door. This way you don't have to open the smoker until it's done. With brisket it's also easier to add water to the pan through the door if you need to. Nothing in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back