Mike Mills Magic Dust Rub and Apple City bbq sauce

SMeadows

TVWBB Member
Anyone used magic dust rub and apple city bbq sauce from Mike Mills' book Peace, Love, and BBQ? Made it Sunday night as my first rib venture and they were spicy, which I wasn't expecting.

I have that book, one of my 1st BBQ books. I may have made it but can't remember. I don't have the book in front of me, what are the ingredients and amounts ?

Mark

Magic Dust:
1/2 cup paprika 1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 kosher salt 2 TBS black pepper
2/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup gran. garlic
2 TBS mustard powder 2 TBS cayenne
1/4 cup chili powder

Sauce:
1 cup catsup 3/4 tsp garlic powder
2/3cup seasoned rice vin 1/4 gr. white pepper
1/2 cup apple juice 1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup apple cider vin 1/3 cup bacon bits
1/2 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup grated apple
1/4 cup worsh. sauce 1/3 cup grated onion
2 tsp yellow mustard 2 tsp grated green pepp

The only thing that I can think of that I may have messed up was that I rubbed the rub into the ribs. His recipe says sprinkle and says rubbing into the meat can clog pores...

Meat doesn't have pores.

Regardless, if you applied more heavily than a sprinkle you will have a spicier finish as more spice was applied. Either lower the amount of heat in the rub or apply more lightly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Meat doesn't have pores.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if meat doesn't have pores then how does it sweat?

In cooking, meat (and other things, like vegetables) can be said to 'sweat' when moisture exudes from the surface. It can be drawn to the surface by salt, can be squeezed out from the fibers due to their contraction from heat, or a combination of the two.

With meat, much moisture is driven in toward the center of the cut due to the surrounding heat of cooking. That's why resting is important. It gives the moisture time to migrate away from the center as the meat surfaces cool.

With vegs, one 'sweats' them in a pan, i.e., cooks in a little fat at lower temps, avoiding browning, in order to drive off the water vegs contain and concentrate their flavors, a basic technique that is something that would likely make Mill's recipe much better. As written, assuming one just throws everything together into a pot, the grated apple does nothing at all, and the aromatics (the onion and green pepper) don't add very much. The absence of fat means the fat soluble flavors in the sauce do not blend nor carry well.

I have used Magic Dust on the few smokes that I have done. From eating at his restaurants his rub there is salty/spicy. I'll have to make some from the recipe and see how it compares.

Agreed.

Though I didn't find them spicy (I have a high tolerance for 'spice'), I have found them salty on several occasions.

Easy to fix. Make the rub without the salt. Instead, salt the ribs first. Use as much as you would were the ribs served to you cooked, but lacking salt. So just eyeball the amount as you sprinkle it on - both sides. Wait several minutes for the salt to draw moisture to the surface (this is when I go light coals for a Minion start). When the surface is moist, apply the saltless rub over the salt. The moisture will help the rub stick well. Applying the salt separately means that you can use as much (or as little) salt as you like, and apply as much (or as little) rub as you'd like. Since they are applied separately one does not affect the other. I make all rubs this way.

[Another thing you can do, if you're interested, is to cut the dry mustard from the rub - it does nothing at all - and switch the paprika to a chile with actual flavor that will maintain during cooking. Paprika's flavor does not. His sauce needs work...but that's another issue.]

Back