Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substitute for Canned Baked Beans in Barbie's BBQ Beans?

TVWBB Emerald Member
    If it helps any, my notes say that one pound of dried beans makes 5 1/2 cups cooked, drained navy beans. Some beans absorb more water than others and I suppose it depends on the size of the beans too.

Rita

7/4/09: Ed. yield of 1 pound dried navy beans.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Dave-- I'd go by volume. As I think Rita pointed out in the recipe thread, a can of Bush's should be 13 cups. I'd cook 2-2.5 lbs of beans (or a kilo) and measure out about 13 cups of beans plus liquid and use that. Once you have done it one time and made any necessary adjustments you'll know whether this works out. I think it should.
    Kevin

Thanks Rita and Kevin. I'm going to try a half batch first and will let you know how it turns out.

Dave

Couldn't wait for the weekend and I did them up today. What can I say about this recipe that hasn't already been said in the original thread? Two things: a) baked beans will never be the same after this - the bar has definitely been risen; b) after doing them from scratch, even if I could get my hands on canned beans I would no longer consider it an option. I've never had Bush's so I can't compare the result against using theirs but sincerely, doing it from scratch really isn't much more work (more time yes) and I have 100% control over the additives.

Thanks Rita and Kevin for all the info. Wouldn't have been able to do it without you.

Just a couple of notes on the process that I followed:
    - I did and overnight soak of the dried beans then a nice slow cook on the stovetop.
    - I decided to add the salt right at the beginning of the cook
    - 500g of dried white beans (just a tad bit bigger than navy beans) gave me a little more than 8 cups (volume) of cooked beans

One thing I'll try on the next batch is to throw a little bit of cabbage in with the beans for the initial cook. Since I'll whip up some coleslaw cabbage will be on hand and it tends to give a nice flavour to white beans when cooked in the traditional Spanish style. Not sure it will do anything for the end result of this recipe as the other flavours just might drown it out, but it can't hurt.

Rita - since you wanted to try this from scratch as well I can now tell you from experience that Kevin's guidance is spot on. Go for it!

Dave

TVWBB Fan
    I've heard that adding salt at the beginning of the cooking process will toughen beans.

Does anyone ever make beans from scratch entirely in the smoker? Is it doable? I've got a maple cider baked bean recipe that I'd love to try this way.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    It is a myth that adding salt early to beans will toughen them. The only reason I suggested adding near the end, above, was to minimize chances of a salty finish due to the otheringredients being added later, and due to reduction. You can go with the salt addition early if you'd like. (I do for beans that will be done--i.e., removed from the heat--when tender, rather than combined with additional ingredients for longer cooking after tender is achieved.)

What you don't want to add to beans early on is anything acidic.

I've cooked beans from scratch in kettles. It isn't something I do by choice as I prefer to make additions of other ingredients and monitor the liquid level as I go (necessitating lid removal), but you certainly can.
    Kevin

Preparing an "alubiada" (bean stew) is very traditional where I live in the north of Spain. I'd never heard the myth about salt toughening the beans if added at the beginning and it's always done in that manner here. Naturally it's not a lot of salt as typical bean stew also has chorizo, some ribs, panceta (like bacon, but thicker) so it's going to draw salt from those as well during the cooking process.

I'm not a chemist but I would think that the longer the time the beans are in contact with the salt would facilitate starch release from the beans helping to naturally thicken the broth. Any thoughts on that Kevin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan S View Post
    AB's beans from scratch are good. Link to recipe.
    Trying to find this. Thanks
    SJS/Mini WSM,

TVWBB Olympian
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Abbott View Post
    Trying to find this. Thanks
    Here you go Jody enjoy.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ns-recipe.html
    "When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "
    Lump, It's what I'm cooking over. Chris A, Thanks for letting me play here.

Thanks Bryan
    SJS/Mini WSM,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12