18" coal ring in a 22" WSM?

Dann B

TVWBB Super Fan
With all that's been written about fuel consumption, has anyone tried to use the smaller, 18" fuel ring?

Just wondering if it would work or not, and how would it compare to the ring that comes with the 22"?

Conceptually, I don't think this makes any sense. The 22" has much greater volume than the 18", and it's going to take more fuel to heat up that space regardless of which charcoal chamber you use.

My guess is that if you used the 18" chamber you'd end up running the bottom vents more open in order to burn more fuel to get the temp up to your target.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Conceptually, I don't think this makes any sense. The 22" has much greater volume than the 18", and it's going to take more fuel to heat up that space regardless of which charcoal chamber you use.

My guess is that if you used the 18" chamber you'd end up running the bottom vents more open in order to burn more fuel to get the temp up to your target.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even though i've never cooked on a 22 i think chris is right. my 1st thought to the OP was that you would probably burn more fuel that way.

An analogy might be:

Let's say you have a 10'x10' room and you have a portable electric space heater that warms the room just fine. If you move that space heater into a 20'x20' room, would it heat the same way? No, it would take longer to heat the room and you might have to turn it way up to heat the room adequately.

Chris

Chris - I guess I have to beg to differ. I have been using the 18 ring since I got the 22(see posts under Fired Up the 22). Perhaps there is some additional heat energy required to heat up the additional air mass, but I have not found that yet to be a problem. I got the 22 in January and have used at least once a week in Central Wis cold. Using the 18 ring (now the one I fabricated) and a Minion start (only 9 - 12 briquettes) have been getting up to temp in 20 - 30 minutes. As I usually do when temp gets up towards 175º I start to shut vents down. Once it has settled in to 250º (can't go by Weber thermo) back vents are closed and I use the front vent for temp control. But it is never open more than 25%. It will maintain this temp for at least 6 - 8 hours.

I have done high temp with the 18 ring for 3 - 4 hours with no problem with plenty of charcoal leftover.

Now if I were doing 8 butts overnight I would definitely use the 22 ring. But for spares, chicken, etc the 18 ring is more than sufficient.

I think what happens is that anyone using the 22 ring will feel that they have to fill it up completely and to me it is a waste of fuel ($). And I do not know how this thing cooks with only a partially filled 22 ring.

People just have to experiment and do what is best for them. By the way I am a lump user only.

Dan

I don't have a 22" WSM.

My thinking is I believe the food maybe several pounds or more of meat your are cooking, consums more energy, than heating the addition space/volume of the bigger unit.

In other words, yes it takes more fuel to heat the 22" than the 18". If you look at the total, energy/fuel comsumption, the biggest portion of that would be the food assuming you use a dry water pan.

Now if you put water in the pan, the additional volume of water on the 22" plus the additional volume/space in the 22" might be a slightly different story. Plus the added capacity/meat you can put on the 22", of course would require the larger ring.

Just my 1.5 cents worth.

Back