CyberQ Wifi Trouble!!!

D Arita

TVWBB Fan
So I followed the CyberQ Adhoc instructions and connected to the my cyberq network. Now, with the cyberq powered down and unplugged, I can't reconnect the PC to my router! What now???

Just unplugged the router, then plugged it back in again and now I have a connection again. Will I have to do this every time connect to the CyberQ, then want to get back to my home network? Where did I go wrong?

Did you ever have any more problems with it?

Not smartalec but I agree on infrastructure mode. It was easy and doesnt require all that port forwarding stuff, If you don't want to see it outside your home network.

I connected to cyberQ with adhoc and changed the setting to infrastructure and rebooted cyberQ.

Find the address for your router settings. Mine were 192.168.1.254. Then I just
Looked for the cyberQ address and typed that in the browser. It will be almost the same as the router but the last digits will be different. mine was 192.158.1.64

Now you can use any computer or phone on your home network to see it and not have to switch your laptop or computer back and forth.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by William Blackwell:
Did you ever have any more problems with it?

Not smartalec but I agree on infrastructure mode. It was easy and doesnt require all that port forwarding stuff, If you don't want to see it outside your home network.

I connected to cyberQ with adhoc and changed the setting to infrastructure and rebooted cyberQ.

Find the address for your router settings. Mine were 192.168.1.254. Then I just
Looked for the cyberQ address and typed that in the browser. It will be almost the same as the router but the last digits will be different. mine was 192.158.1.64

Now you can use any computer or phone on your home network to see it and not have to switch your laptop or computer back and forth.

Hope this helps.
I thought you had to go into the router and change to port forwarding and do something with the mac address?

Mine works fine without the port forwarding. I think that is a big misunderstanding and that port forwarding is only required if you want to access it from outside your home network. Like from work or the grocery store.

Originally posted by William Blackwell:
Mine works fine without the port forwarding. I think that is a big misunderstanding and that port forwarding is only required if you want to access it from outside your home network. Like from work or the grocery store.
I kinda did want to access the CQ from outside the home, however to start with, perhaps I could set it up without port forwarding, then add it later. Is that possible?

I run the CyberQ wifi on my Linksys (310, I think, is the model -- Cisco/Linksys) without a problem. It's probably 100 feet or so from my router. I agree with what folks are saying here -- no need for the port forwarding if you run it in your home network. In fact, I ditched the DHCP option on the CyberQ, too, and simply gave it a static IP: 192.168.1.111 -- easy to remember.

I simply went to the CyberQ wifi setup, changed it to infrastructure mode, made sure DHCP was off, set it to static 192.168.1.111, gave it the name of my home network in the SSID field, changed it to WPA2 passphrase, gave it my password, reset the CyberQ, and gave it up 60 secs to turn back on and recognize my network. Very easy to do, and now I can see it on all of my iPhone and iPad so long as I'm on my home wifi. Since the current firmware has no password, I'd recommend *NOT* forwarding any ports to it. I mean, you probably don't want someone finding that you're running a webserver and then realizing they can screw with your pit temperature. It's actually a bit surprising that they lock it down with no password -- especially since someone could easily set the pit temp to 475F or something and cause (potentially serious) issues with your pit and your food.

I run the CyberQ wifi on my Linksys (310, I think, is the model -- Cisco/Linksys) without a problem. It's probably 100 feet or so from my router. I agree with what folks are saying here -- no need for the port forwarding if you run it in your home network. In fact, I ditched the DHCP option on the CyberQ, too, and simply gave it a static IP: 192.168.1.111 -- easy to remember.

I simply went to the CyberQ wifi setup, changed it to infrastructure mode, made sure DHCP was off, set it to static 192.168.1.111, gave it the name of my home network in the SSID field, changed it to WPA2 passphrase, gave it my password, reset the CyberQ, and gave it up 60 secs to turn back on and recognize my network. Very easy to do, and now I can see it on all of my iPhone and iPad so long as I'm on my home wifi. Since the current firmware has no password, I'd recommend *NOT* forwarding any ports to it. I mean, you probably don't want someone finding that you're running a webserver and then realizing they can screw with your pit temperature. It's actually a bit surprising that they lock it down with no password -- especially since someone could easily set the pit temp to 475F or something and cause (potentially serious) issues with your pit and your food.
Bobby, thanks for the tips. Looks easy enough even for me. I'll give that a try ASAP. Thanks again!

Bobby, thanks for the tips. Looks easy enough even for me. I'll give that a try ASAP. Thanks again!

Ok...I'm trying to set up my CQ in Infrastructure mode, without port forwarding. I set to Infrastructure, switch off DHCP, set to Static IP of my CQ, give it my home network name in SSID field, change to WPA2 Passphrase, enter my network password, hit Submit, then turn the CQ off, then back on. I switch my laptop connection back to my home network, go to explorer, then enter my CQ IP in the address bar...no connection.
What am I doing wrong? I love this CQ, but not being a computer guy, this connection thing is driving me nuts!

The first time I switched mine over, I had to reboot the wifi router and the cyberQ.

Try that and then go to the router page to find what address it assigned to the cyberQ. Type that in and you should be good.

On your PC, go to a command prompt and enter ipconfig. Check to see what IP network you have. Cisco/Linksys routers usually use 192.168.1.x. Not all brands use the same net. What IP address did you set the CyberQ to? Must be the same first 3 octets and must be unique on your network.

Reviving an old thread, but a good one!

Mr. Tuck, you are a lifesaver. Well, at least you solved my problem, and for that I'm grateful. I spent hours trying to get the CyberQ to work in adhoc mode. For whatever reason, I couldn't get it to connect to two different laptops (one running XP and the other running W7). I'm pretty tech savvy, but nothing I tried worked. Then, after many re-boots and resets, somehow I got my older XP machine to connect to the CyberQ in adhoc mode. Thinking it was a fluke, the next thing I did was follow your instructions and I got the CyberQ into infrastructure mode (no port forwarding). Now I can connect to it with any computer on the network (including my Android devices, which don't support adhoc). Woo hoo!! I may try to set-up port forwarding at some point, but for now I'm good with just being able to access it within my WiFi network. Thanks so much for your instructions!

So here's a really good, easy to follow, writeup from the NakedWhiz site on how to get the CyberQ Wifi set up in Ad Hoc, Infrastructure within your own netowrk , and infrastructure for outside your own network access. I was able to get fully set up and connected in about 3 hours including setting up the Dyanmic IP service, all my false starts, and time out to google and research all the acronyms and terms I didn't understand.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf4.htm

Haven't decided yet whether I'll keep the port forwarding for outside access enabled or not. [pretty much just wanted to prove to myself I could do it.]

Agree with the other comments - staying within my own network is easy and will probably work 99% of the time. Still, it is kind of cool to give the ID out let a friend monitor your cook.

BBQ Guru customer support will send you version 1.2 of their firmware -- which supports password while in infrastructure mode.

Back