Standing Rib Roast Success Story

John R.

I had a great experience with a standing rib roast smoke yesterday.

I took an idea from Emeril and rubbed the roast with a paste made up of:
3 heads of smoked garlic
1 tablespoon each of rosemary and thyme
1 tablespoon each of kosher salt and fresh ground peper.

Good tip for roasting garlic: Only cut off the top 1/4 of the garlic head. Boil in water for 5 minutes. Place cut side down in roasting pan with olive oil and salt. Roast for 45 minutes to an hour. The garlic just squeezes out like a paste and is very sweet and flavorfull. Don't shortcut this by peeling the indiviudal garlic cloves ahead of time as they will burn and get bitter quickly. Then just mix the paste with the herbs and spices with a fork and rub well into the roast. if you have a large fat cap on the roast, cut off the fat in one piece, rub the paste underneath, and place the fat back on top. Tie the roast to keep it in place. Get a "small end" roast.

I used oak and apple woods, but have to admit the garlic flavor was more dominant than the smoke flavor.

Temp of the smoker stayed between 350 and 425 most of the day and cooked to an internal temp of 130 degrees. This took about 20 minutes per pound. Inside was medium rare and perfect. Evryone was fighting over the outside pieces becasue of the rub. I've done this a couple of time now and found that the smoker temp is less important than the internal temp of the meat.

Back