Gyros from the WSM or EZ Que

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I finally got around to making gyro meat. I split the loaf and cooked it in the WSM and in my kettle set up with an 8-inch EZ Que. I used lump and no smoke wood in either. It worked rather well both ways. We ate the rotis loaf the other night. The WSM loaf will be served tonight sliced thinly over small pita wedges and topped with tzatziki, a dice of tomato, a little feta, evoo and a drop or two of lemon as appetizers to a pulled pork dinner I'm doing for 16 people; that should work well too.

Details on the process are here.

slightly different than what you have here... but for a while I've wondered if anyone has done al pastor on an EZ-Que. If anyone has tried it, it's probably you... ever given it a shot? While you won't be able to get that wonderful flavor you can get on a vertical spit from the pineapple running down, you could probably replicate the flavor pretty well otherwise...

thoughts?

Hey Kev,

Gyro looks great and awesome presentation. Wish I can download it. Please let us know how it turned out.

Adam --> al pastor? LA Dodger avatar? You wouldn't happen to be a displaced Angeleno?

Darn! Another great one for my ever-lengthening To Do List. I've checked out other gyro wannabes, but chucked them because they didn't seem "right." This one's going into the top of the list.

Thanks, Kevin!
Rita

Adam--

I have been thinking about how to do al pastor on a EZ Que and keep the pineapple variable. I have some ideas but haven't tried any yet.

Rick--

Yes, it should work. Keep the batches small and scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently.

Jake--

Both versions turned out very well. I like the rotis but it is good to know that one is not required to make gyro meat. The big deal is having a pasty mix, wrapping tightly in plastic and chilling for a period of time. I noted no difference in texture between the two (though the rotissed version looks cooler spinning around).

There is some great tacos al pastor in L.A. I'm guessing Adam is thinking of some of the places I first had it--practically immersed myself in it--in Mexico City. Adam?

Bob/Rita--

Give it a shot some time and let us know what you think.

Jake - nice bit of deduction, there Jake. Yes, born in long beach, moved to the frigid northeast about 6 years ago. Haven't thawed yet. (and let's hope the dodgers fare better this year).

Kevin - actually, I've never been able to get down to mexico city. Hoping to get down there this year, actually. The best al pastor I've ever had was a road-side stall in baja - just a few miles from k-38, actually. Man, that stuff is tasty.

Kevin:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Adam--

I have been thinking about how to do al pastor on a EZ Que and keep the pineapple variable. I have some ideas but haven't tried any yet.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about just turning your kettle on it's end?
icon_smile.gif

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on keeping the pineapple variable. Obviously you could use it as part of your marinade, but there's something to the pineapple dripping down and caramelizing...

you know, you could probably build a vertical spit from a rotisserie attachment. You'd need a charcoal basket that could hold charcoal vertically, kind of like an elongated chimney, but with a mesh side to it. Then, somehow securely fashion a rotisserie on its end. With a metal reflector behind the "chimney" and around the back of the unit, you'd have a great vertical spit.

hey, that might actually work...

Perhaps one of our resident welders/tinkerers/inventors can come up with something. Definitely not my strong suit (in fact, I have no card in that suit!).

I've been playing with a few ideas beyond the obvious marinade thing: Slices of whole, cored pineapple to go between every few slices of pork (this is post-marinade) but perhaps to lightly coat the pineapple in some ground turbinado--just enough so that, as it is affected by the heat, it slowly caramelizes and kind of sticks things together. Dunno. I'm playing with ideas and will come up with something to try.

If you get to the DF the tacos al pastor are great. Not necessarily better than what you had in Baja (I've had terrific al pastor in Baja) but very, very good. Don't bother seeking it till evening (you'll find it but the best places--if they are open during the day at all--do lighter stuff in the mornings (and worth hitting for breakfast!) and roll out the al pastor and asada in the evenings.

At the moment I satisfy myself when in L.A. by hitting some of the taco trucks. My favorite for al pastor parks on Pico and Cochran just west of La Brea. Great salsa roja. Very good buche too.

ok, not sure how I could veer this discussion any more off of bbq than I already have... but...

If you are in LA you MUST try the fish tacos here:

Tacos Baja Ensenada
5385 Whittier Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
(323) 887-1980

Best I've had. Anywhere. Baja or U.S. Just plain amazing.

Your life will transform after that. Heavens will open, angels will sing and the Dodgers will win the pennant. All things good in life will happen simultaneously.

Greek Oregeno?????? I have everything to make this recipe, but Greek Oregeno. Are there any substitutes?

Thanks,
Josh

No, no subs really--Mexican oregano is not the same. But no matter--eliminate the oregano and up the marjoram by 1/2 t. The spices can be adjusted to taste. Make it once and see what you think and adjust to your liking from there; the quantities are not carved in stone by any means. I hope you enjoy it.

Just out of curiosity.... what nationality is regular old oregeno? Penzey's doesn't carry any labeled greek so I'm currently at a loss, but you never know, I might find some.

Thanks,
Josh

Origanum vulgare is what is frequently referred to in the US as Greek oregano to differentiaite it from Mexican oregano (Lippia graveolens)--both are grown here. Greek is grown all over Europe, the Mediterranean countries and the Middle East. It's the herb to use in the cuisines of those areas--especially Italian and Greek cuisines where it is so often included. Mexican is the one to use for Mexican dishes, southwestern and Tex-Mex, chili, etc.

Penzey's Greek oregano comes from Turkey I believe.

So if I'm following correctly... The oregeno that I have from the grocery store is the right stuff? I'm pretty sure it is not mexican oregeno, but I could be wrong... just says oregeno. I think it is McCormicks.

Thanks,
Josh

Probably is the right stuff--if it is McCormick's it definitely; that is what they package as their oregano.

If it ends up being Mexican it's not going to hurt anything. It would just darken the flavor a little and might be a little oregano-y but not a big deal.

Excellent! Yeah, it is indeed McCorkmicks and it has all its recommendation of use for Italian style dishes. Looks like I'm set to make gyros later this week. Did you buy your tzatziki? I found some easy enough looking recipes on the web, but I'd be fine with buying it if I could find it.

I made it. It was a version of Ray's recipe posted here but without the sour cream and using little dried mint in place of the dill. Note that if you wish to make a thinner sauce you can skip the yogurt draining if you wish. Should you do that cut back on the vinegar and lemon (by half or so) so that it doesn't get too thin. I prefer the richness of the drained yogurt version but have made it with regular yogurt when it I needed it as more of a last-minute thing.

If you put the salted cucumber in a sieve in the sink it's drain into the drain and it's one less bowl to wash. Dump the drained cuke onto a few thickness of paper towel to absorb excess liquid, mix into the yogurt and continue with the recipe.

HEY!!! what happened to the tzatziki recipe??? I'll just have to start straining my yogurt and hope it is here when I want to make it tomorrow.

Also I bought some greek yogurt and I bought too much... will a second container freeze ok?

Thanks,
Josh

The yogurt will freeze okay. The texture will likely suffer after it thaws but whisking it well will help that. If you don't freeze it (I eat so much plain yogurt I never have enough to freeze) it's good for 7-10 days after the sell-by date and likely longer.

The link worked when I posted it. Let's try this one.

Back