Leg of Lamb indirect on Kettle (with pics)

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I took a 3.6 lb. deboned leg of lamb from Sams. Opened it up and cut some slits to open it up more.

Made a paste of oregano and mint (from my yard), plus garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, olive oil, and lemon juice.

Slathered paste inside the leg, rolled it, and tied it up tight. Rubbed the outside with more of the paste, and put it in a zip-lock bag with more lemon juice overnight.

Fired some Stubbs briquets and filled the Weber briquet holders, with a drip pan in the center.

Put the lamb in the center and closed her up. Checked the temp at 30 minutes and every 15 thereafter until it hit 135, which took a little less than 1.5 hours.

Temp in the kettle was 500 plus at mid-cook.

Let the lamb rest for about 15 minutes (inside a microwave; holds heat well).

Sliced and served on flatbread, with tzatziki (Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cucumber, S&P), mint, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Very good!

It was medium, just a little pink in the center, but still very moist and flavorful. Forgot to take a pic after I sliced it.

I was shooting for medium rare. I would not go over 135 before I took it off. Next time I will pull at 130.

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

Hello Chris
Looks great. I posted a recipe the other day on a leg of lamp with a paste that to me is out of this world. But I think next time I will cut into it and do like you did! I agree that you can't smoke it to high internal temps. One thing I like to know if you think high heat 500 does a better job than a lower heat like 250? Usely I try to keep my performer at 225 -250. Do you think it matters?

One thing I like to know if you think high heat 500 does a better job than a lower heat like 250? Usely I try to keep my performer at 225 -250. Do you think it matters?

This was my first time doing lamb like this. I've unrolled it and grilled it over high heat several times but never roasted or smoked a rolled leg like this.

I suppose you would get an opportunity to put some smoke flavor in the meat by going low and slow, but I don't know that I want that for Greek-style lamb.

This worked well for me. The meat was very good, and it did not take long.

Chris, this cook looks PERFECT!
I've done this lamb also very much the way you did, however, I cooked at a lower temp (350-375ºF) and it did take much longer, I did pull at 130º.
Yours, I must say, looks soo much better!
I'd like to try this again with the higher heat you employed.
Very Nice Cookin'!

Cooked one on the rotisserie tonight after marinading for hours in red wine/garlic/olive oil/dijon mustard/herbs (rosemary, thyme, mint).

Had it with tabouleh, flatbread, and tzatziki. Delicious.

1364612951_zpsd6dfd544.jpg

1364612977_zps79ee0c5a.jpg

Back