About to make a Knife Order

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
I'm about to make a Forschner knife order from Cutlery and More and want to make sure I get everything I need.

I'm ordering their 12 inch Granton Edge Slicer for slicing briskets, roasts, turkeys and hams; 10 Chef's Knife for gerneral purpose use such as chopping veggie; and 10 inch Hollow Edge Cimeter for trimming briskets, ribs and pork shoulders.

Is there anything else I should add or replace with another knife? I'm thinking of some kind of boning knife.

They had some screaming deals on the Alton Brown Shun knives yesterday. Might want to take a look. I'm costing you money..but you asked
icon_biggrin.gif

Paul

14" to long? If not I would go with a 14" slicer. Love mine, and glad I went with the longer model. Other than that you should be fine if you are going to go with Forschner.

Amazon dosent appear to carry the 14" slicer, I just recieved my cherry mag block today and I'm in the market for a few new knives myself. I like doing business with Amazon and helping Chris a little. The 12" slicer should be more then sufficient for most things right?

If you can swing it get a 6" semi-flexible and a 6" stiff boning knife. You won't regret it. I have 11 of their knives and love them. I think I use the chef and the boning knives the most for every day use.

Good knives for sure.

I love my forschner slicer. I got the regular polished 12 inch slicer with rosewood handle... I know I'm an outcast since it's not the fibrox, granton edge 14"
icon_smile.gif
. I would have gotten that one, but I had been wanting it for a long time and when the one I purchased hit 17 bucks at amazon I decided I didn't want to wait anymore.

I can say that it has been very useful at making slices of brisket (or anything) as paper thin as I want and I've yet to have an issue of sticking due to non granton edge nor a problem with 12 inches being too short or the wood handle getting slippery. That said, I still wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for those features. But it wasn't worth $12-20 to me and I haven't been sorry yet. I think you'll be happy.

Originally posted by r benash:
14" to long? If not I would go with a 14" slicer. Love mine, and glad I went with the longer model. Other than that you should be fine if you are going to go with Forschner.

I agree with Ray. I just got my 14 inch slicing knife and I love it.

Sweeet! Did you get a Forschner vinal sticker to put on your glass or is that an actual Forschner case of some kind? Looks like your stocked up, now I'm jealous. I just want a slicer
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Brandon A:
Sweeet! Did you get a Forschner vinal sticker to put on your glass or is that an actual Forschner case of some kind? Looks like your stocked up, now I'm jealous. I just want a slicer
icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a Forschner display case. It has legs that fold out so that you can stand it up on a counter... or it has hardware for wall mounting.
The place I bought my knives from asked me if I wanted it because they weren't using it.

I can't say enough about how happy I am with the Forschners I have. Although this was the first set of 'real' knives I've owned and don't have much to compare to - they're fantastic.

Feel good in the hand, nice weight, and razor sharp. As K Kruger said in my post, make sure you get the diamond oval for your steel sharpener.

Back