Recommended Smoker Thermometer

G

Any recomendations for a good smoker thermometer. I've ready about the Maverick ET-73 and heard alot about the quality issues. Are they still a problem?

I am very happy with mine - but I do recommend putting a 6.5 inch antenna on it.

As far as I know, the ET-73 is the only single remote thermometer that you can program a low grate temp alarm, high grate temp alarm, and high temp meat alarm. Well worth the minor trouble it is to install that antenna.

I've had my ET-73 for about a year with no problems whatsoever. It seems like a very good, accurate themometer for the money. The only thing I have to watch with mine is the batteries. If they get weak the signal will not reach very far.

I got a maverick from www.overstock.com
Just search Maverick. It is <$40.

It does NOT have a low temp alarm however but it does have TWO probe inputs for smoker and meat separate. You can directly plug into the receiver also when not using the wireless. The range really varies on how new the batteries are. It works for me tho. Keep the probe wire out of fire (mainly when grilling vs smoking) and dont kink it.

I have the Maverick ET-7 dual probe thermometer, not to offend anyone (you always do when you use that preface), but I think it is a piece of crap. The first probe stopped working within a month, after having Maverick ignore my email, I called them and they were kind enough to offer to sell my a new probe for $15.00, almost half of what I paid for it. The last time I tried to use the remote feature, I could not get the units to comunicate no matter what I tried. After that I started searching for a new unit, "Cooks Illustrated" recomended the "Taylor #1474". On that particular day it was only $9.99 at amazon.com, so I ordered one (Just came today, checking accuracy now!) It appears to be a much sturdier unit than the Maverick and its a Taylor which is probably one of the most well known brand of thermometer.

As a follow-on to the Mavericks flaws, when I went to use the base without the remote on the 4th it read 25* to high!

Looking forward to the new Taylor and now wish I would have bought 2,(it was the original reason for buying the Maverick to monitor two temps at once).
I see it is now $14.99 at amazon Taylor #1474

Just my Buck-Three-Ninety-Five worth.

As a Follow-up, after playing with the Taylor last nite, I couldn't be happier! Itread a perfect 32* in a glass of ice water, and 212* in a pot of boiling water, The range on the remote was excellent, setting up the pager was as simple as turning it on, (no turning one on first then the other like the maverick).

Now if only I had something to Q, Maybe a Tri-Tip this weekend...

Keep in mind that the ET-7 and the ET-73 are two different units. I ordered my two ET-73's on the first day they were released several years ago, and they're both still going strong. I also have a Nu-Temp unit with three temp probe units, though, and I tend to reach for the Nu-Temp before I reach for the ET-73's these days because the ease of placing the individual probe units in different places is more convenient than dealing with two probes coming from the same ET-73 unit. Heaven knows I have more thermos than I know what to do with, but the Nu-Temp would be my first recommendation. There used to be a thread here on TVWB where you could order the Nu-Temp units at a discount - don't know if it's still active or not, though.

Keri C

I have an ET-73 and the only problem I have with it is the range. At about 15ft. with line of sight, it works just fine. I would recommend a mounted analog thermometer. I have the $10 Weber through the rivet and I rely on that before all others. Also, when I check the meat, I have a Thermopen which I love. I know I could live very well without the ET-73 given the other two thermometers.

Back