how to low and slow on Q 300???

Erik Markowski

Guys, I would like to make some ribs on me Q and the recipe requires low temperature below 300 degrees direct heat. I can't seem to keep temp below 300 on me Q. Is there a trick to it? or is it impossible?

Thanks for your time.

If it were me Erik i would use a roasters pan and sit the ribs on the rack inside the roaster, should work.

Try propping the door open? It would waste a lot of fuel I would wager.

I have a Q300 and I have never been happy grilling indirect on it. It is fantastic for direct but the design is not conducive to indirect cooking.

The 300 has a dual burner, no? How hot does it get on just the smaller burner (if you can fire it that way.)

Search all forums for "high heat ribs" and see what others are doing. Ribs do not have to be low 'n slow.

Disclaimer: I do my ribs low 'n slow with a target temperature of 225°. But you have to work with what you have.

Erik that would not ruin the ribs, the ribs will be sitting a couple of inches off the bottom of the pan, the roasting pan is just a heat deflector. I have used this method in the kettle and wsm works great.

Hey George.

Just dropped by and saw the posts. Low and slow in a 300 is easy. Noe is on the right track - I don't use a roasting pan because it changes the airflow pattern around the meat.
Preheat the 300 for 5 minutes only to burn off any nasties first.
Set the 300 up for indirect cooking using a doubled over sheet of foil on the grill and a trivet or roasting rack or a rib rack on top of the foil - you have to have a air gap of about 1" between the foil and trivet or whatever you are using, so the air can flow freely around the meat thus cooking it in a convection type manner.
Just use the centre burner on the lowest setting. that should give you a lid temp of about 225 - 250.

You can get stable temps of 225 or so by strategically placing a couple of foil trays with water so that they are not above any direct heat. Start with hot water as the meat will be absorbing all the heat energy first of all. You can replenish them after about 2 hours with cold water which means that the water will be absorbing the heat energy. The water also puts some moisture in the air while it is heating away which means that the meat will remain very moist.
Don't forget to foil the ribs with a little juice or water for an hour and a half or so and then firm them up indirect with your favourite Mop/Sauce.

Here's a photo of some belly pork that I braised in the 220

SAM_0906.jpg

a photo of the set-up

SAM_0896.jpg

So let me see if I understand this. I put a aluminum foil sheet on the bbq grate and a trivet or rib rack with meat on top of this and use only center burner on low to get the low temperature for the ribs to grill on low heat. Do I understand this correctly? I was confused because pics show little bit different setup.

sure it would. but then you could not get the heat down with all that flame. as a reminder, phil is a pro at this stuff, he demo's for weber.

Back