BBQ in Maryland

Greg Muller

TVWBB Member
I am looking for a BBQ joint in the Towson-Baltimore Maryland area to take the whole family to. Will be there over Easter break to look at some college's and to visit Towson U.

Andy Nelson's BBQ in Cockeysville on York Rd...........maybe 10-15 minutes North of Towson. York Rd. is the major route in and out of Towson, MD.

Restaurant is easy to find and has pretty good food. PP and Chicken is pretty good; potato salad is spicy and awesome in my opinion.

Corner Stable is on York Rd. as well in the same vicinity.......a little nicer place/pricier.........very good ribs and chicken.

Good luck!

BTW....Chaps Pit Beef does have great Pit Beef snadwiches.....not a family atmosphere though.

It's directly in front of the Gentleman's Gold Club on Rt. 40 in Baltimore..........not that I know anything about the Gold Club.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwayne e:
Andy Nelson's BBQ in Cockeysville on York Rd...........maybe 10-15 minutes North of Towson. York Rd. is the major route in and out of Towson, MD.

Restaurant is easy to find and has pretty good food. PP and Chicken is pretty good; potato salad is spicy and awesome in my opinion.

Corner Stable is on York Rd. as well in the same vicinity.......a little nicer place/pricier.........very good ribs and chicken.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg,

Your question, and the responses, reminded me of another story
icon_smile.gif
I grew up in the South (FL), but lived for 24 years north of Towson. When I first moved there, I was disappointed in what the locals called "great BBQ"...

No offense, Dwayne E, but the places I tried never impressed me...Of course, everyone's tastes are different, but that's a part of what makes regional Q so much fun, right ?
icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I had a conversation with my new Boss one day...he was from Alabama, and an Auburn grad...I asked him : "Where can I get decent BBQ up here ?" His response was : "In my back yard !"
icon_biggrin.gif
I was glad to see someone else felt the same as I did...

As noted, a great compromise is the Maryland pit beef sandwich....now THERE is some good BBQ ! Never been to Chaps (or the Club !
icon_smile.gif
), but I've had some killer pit beef with the legendary Bryan S at a place called the Susquehanna Inn, on Rt 1 just across the MD line in PA. Also, if you catch an O's game at Camden Yards, the Boog Powell stand used to sell some good pit beef, too.

My favorite place was more of a reasonably-priced "family" restaurant, north of Bel Air, called Wargo's. Nothing fancy...They did pit beef only on Fridays and Saturdays, but they serve lots of other good food, too...had some great steaks, crab cakes, crab soup, etc there over the years, but our favorite was the "hot beef platter" (gravy on the fries)
icon_biggrin.gif

Curious to see if they were still in business, I found this link . Note the response to a review from Kimmie, one of the Wargo daughters...they are just good Folks, making good comfort food !

Dean...

Back