Corn and Black Bean Salad - Great with BBQ

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
I've been tweaking recipes again. We came up with this a little while back and decided that it was really tasty. Slightly sweet / tart / hot and just a bit smoky from the cumin, it seems to compliment most BBQ meats well and is something different than your basic traditional slaw on the side. And healthy to boot!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn and Black Bean Salad

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar -- (a lighter colored balsamic will preserve the veggie colors better - haven't tried with cider vinegar)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (or Splenda, to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 15-oz can canned black beans -- rinsed and drained
1 8.75-oz can sweet corn -- drained, or equivalent fresh or frozen sweet corn (the canned super-sweet varieties are good in this)
1 small red onion -- diced fine
1 small red bell pepper -- diced fine (fire roasted would be good)
3 green onions -- sliced thin
1 10-oz can Rotel tomatoes -- drained well
1 jalapeno pepper -- seeded, chopped fine

In a small bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, sugar, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder. In a medium bowl, stir together vegetables. Toss with vinegar and oil dressing, and garnish with cilantro. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The original recipe included only black beans and corn. The additional fresh veggies add good crunch and flavor. I like a good squeeze or two of lime juice over it. Adding another jalapeno or two along with some matchstick-cut baby carrots is good also.

Thanks Keri, I'm going to try this tonight. Been looking for something different from traditional slaw and beans.

I started out looking for something like this because of a corn/black bean/quinoa salad that I tried at a local natural foods store. It was more like a tabouleh - it had probably a half-n-half ratio of cooked quinoa grain to veggies. Somehow the flavor combination appealed to me. It keeps well, too - I munched on it for several days last batch I made.

Did you know that the more pointed the end of the jalapeno, the hotter it is? Don't know if it's true, but I've read it in two different magazine articles now.

I have heard that about jalapenos, although a plant I was growing last year produced what looked like great jalapenos merely produced jalapeno shaped green peppers!

Hey, I mixed up the corn and black bean salad tonight and couldn't wait till tomorrow so I sneaked some with a leftover smoked pork steak. It was excellent. I love these kind of dishes; I can eat bowls full of 'Texas caviar'. Thats the marinated salad made with blackeyed peas. Thanks for passing it on.

I stumbled across a bare bones version of a corn salad that is similar to this over the weekend and really liked it. I found it on chowhound: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/538319

To about two cups cooked corn kernels, add one red pepper, one green (bell) pepper, and one small or 1/2 large red onion, all diced to about the size of the corn kernels. Make a vinaigrette using 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar, 1/3 cup EVOO, salt, pepper, and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix and let marinate at room temperature an hour or so.

It was quick, easy, and went quite well with brisket. I've learned a LOT from Keri and will have to try her more hearty version, but if you're ever pushed for time or low on ingredients, the more stripped down version may be worth a try.

I received a "tailgating" cookbook as a gift in the 1990s. I tried a recipe that sounds in the same neighborhood as this and it was great. I lost it though and was never able to recreate it. I'm going to try this!

I just made this & it's exactly what I've been looking for. I used fresh tomatoes and I pressure cooked some black beans for this last night.... I made about a double recipe, skipped the sugar & oil, and I filled a couple of tortilla shells with it - makes a good burrito all by itself!

Back