Weighing spices and cures using a Soehnle digital scale

Joel F.

I weight all my ingredients as used to have a deli and was a sausage maker. In those days the cure was white and the amount used was 5 ounces one hundred weight. Then big brother stepped in an changed it to 4 per hundred and also started coloring it pretty pink. At that time I used a old baby scale the beam balance type. Worked great.
Now I weight all spices and the cure with a Soehnle.
Soehnle 66522 Futura Scale
Before I used a Salter model 1006. It is a good scale but on the low end kind of touchy where the Soehnle is great. Only thing that could be improved is the location of the gram/ounces switch. The on the bottom and you have to remove the rubber pad, slide the switch, and you are in business.

For precise gram measurements I use a Blade Scale. This comes in handy for home brewing also. Also have an Escali 13lb., and an American Weigh 50lb. scale. I use them all the time. I'd be lost without them when making pizza dough. American Weigh Blade Scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went to Amazon.com thru VWBB link and they have these scales for $19.99 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thnaks Bryan - I bought this scale yesterday.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went to Amazon.com thru VWBB link and they have these scales for $19.99 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thnaks Bryan - I bought this scale yesterday.
Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, That scale is very precise, you'll see what I mean when you use it. It's amazing how little, say yeast it takes for the numbers to move when your weighing in grams.
Great find on Amazon.
icon_cool.gif
I would never have thought to look there for American Weigh scales. Not sure what I paid for mine but I think it was about double what you paid.
icon_frown.gif

In looking at some of these American Weigh scales, I don't see that any of them have the "tare" feature. Can anyone enlighten me?

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
In looking at some of these American Weigh scales, I don't see that any of them have the "tare" feature. Can anyone enlighten me?

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bill, Pretty sure that's a standard feature on scales. All 3 of mine have the tare feature. HTH

Yes, they do. Both the Blade v2-400 and the zx 2000 (both 'pocket' scales) have a tare function. Their larger digital bench (also the 2000 model) does too.

just got my scale. its really nice. now i know my wireless mouse weighs 1314 grams. this will come in handy for mail too. best $14 bucks ive spent in awhile. glad a did a search for scales.
now to find some king arthur flour and make some pizza

Another handy feature is a hold option, so when you are using a larger container in tare mode and can't see the digital readout you can hold the reading, remove the items and read the measurement. Haven't seen that on any of the gram scales though.

Just got one of these at Canadian Tire for $11.99
53815.jpg

Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale
The Starfrit Electronic Kitchen Scale has an automatic conversion feature from metric to imperial. It's lightweight and sleek enough to leave on the kitchen counter.

Features:
- Glass top weighing platform - Easy to clean
- Accuracy: 1.0g/0.05oz.
- Zero & Tare functions
- Large easy to read LCD screen.
- Maximum weight capacity: 5kg/11lbs.
- Low battery and overload indicator
- Auto-Zero and auto-off functions.

Works great so far, with easy to do tare and navigation between functions.

Back