Help - slow and low going to slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
I have had an 11 Picninc (bone in) for 18.5 hours. At 13 hours the internal temp read 120*, at 18.5 hours the temp reads 120* again. I am shooting for 200*. Temp taken at 3-different locations on the Picnic.

After 11.5 hours I threw on an 6.5 # flat brisket which obviously is stealing some heat. After 7.5 hours, the brisket is up to 157*. I am shooting for >195*.

I had hoped they both would have been done at 2:00 - 3:00 pm. (22 hours for the Picninc, and 9 hours for the Brisket). I had then hoped to 'cooler' them for 3 hours.

NOW, I am 5 hours until dinner time and have 80* to gain on the picnic, and 40* to gain on the brisket.

Grate and lid temperatures have averaged 210 and 220 respectively.

All vents are 100% open, and I added about 6 unlit coals at the 15 hour mark.

What should I do? Is the oven my best friend today?

Thanks,
~ Sean

At this point I would use the oven...your meat is not going to benefit from smoke flavor this far in!

Throw it in at 225 or so to geth the ball rolling. Don't forget to foil both real tight!!

Thanks Greg - but, I found the root of my problem. A bad thermometer for the picnic. It is a cheapo dial kind, so I tried a dial Taylor type and the Picnic is at 160*, not 120*.

The brisket is now at 161* using the ET-73.

What is more important - foiling in a cooler after reaching desired temp, or finishing on the WSM?

I think I have enough time to reach my temps on the WSM, but not have enough time to cooler them.

Thanks,
~ Sean

Pull 'em off 2 hours before the end of the cook, foil 'em, and pop 'em into a 300 degree oven until they reach their desired temps, then into a cooler for the last hour...!

Glad it was a bad thermo---yer meat would have been in the danger zone for too long and mighta been dangerous to eat....

Thanks Susan - I think I will do that. With that schedule, that means I could pull them of and into the oven in 1.5 more hours (3:00 PST). I will see where my temps are at that point.

Here is a before and during picture. As you can see the Picnic doesn't look too bad.

http://www.manzanares.org/Smoke3.htm

Thoughts?

~ Sean

Nice! I bet you won't need a whole 1.5 hrs in the oven (but who knows).

The only thing to remember is when you take 'em out of the oven, add another layer of foil if, like me, you took their temps by sticking the probe THRU the foil (whoops---what's all that juice on the floor?)

They look good enuff to eat!

Pork came off at 180* and Brisket at 175* and into the oven @ 300*. Chow time in 2-hours, so hopefully I can get some cooler time.

thanks

~ Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back