LinkMeter v2 Homebrew BBQ Controller - Part 2

Sorry for the cross post. This is the better place to ask this from the forum.

-- Mache

After building my v3.2 HeaterMeter, I purchased and built a USBtinyISP and have been having problems flashing the bootloader onto the HeaterMeter.

After installing the Arduino IDE on my Windowws 7 laptop, I attached the B USB cable to the USBtinyISP, the other end of the USB cable to my laptop, and installed the USBtinyISP drivers onto Windows 7.

USBtiny is listed under libusb-win32 devices in the Device Manager. The Driver Provider is libusb-win32, Driver Date 1/17/2012, Driver Version 1.2.6.0, and the Digital Signer is Not digitally signed. The Device type is libusb-win32 devices and the Location is Port_#0001.Hub_#0003. Device status is This device is working properly. Diver files are C:\Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys, C:\Windows\system32\libusb0.dll, C:\Windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll. Provider is http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net.

When I next attach the USB cable to my laptop and the USBtinyISP to the Heatermeter via the 6-pin ICSP header, the green LED glows on the USBtinyISP.

Following the instructions on the wiki, I select Arduino Uno from the Tools, Board menu and select USBtinyISP from the Tools, Programmer menu. When I select Tools, Burn Bootloader, I get a brief blink of the red LED on the USBtinyISP and the following error message on my laptop.

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Turning on a verbose mode I get the following additional information:

C:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cusbtiny -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xde:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep 2 2011 at 19:38:36
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : lpt1
Using Programmer : usbtiny
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
AVR Part : ATMEGA328P
Chip Erase delay : 9000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PC2
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll Page Polled
Memory Type Mode Delay Size Indx Paged Size Size #Pages MinW MaxW ReadBack
----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
eeprom 65 20 4 0 no 1024 4 0 3600 3600 0xff 0xff
Block Poll Page Polled
----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
flash 65 6 128 0 yes 32768 128 256 4500 4500 0xff 0xff
Block Poll Page Polled
lfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
hfuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
efuse 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
lock 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 4500 4500 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
calibration 0 0 0 0 no 1 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00
Block Poll Page Polled
signature 0 0 0 0 no 3 0 0 0 0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
Description : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

I have checked the connectivity on the pins of the ATMega328P chip on the HeaterMeter back to the pins on the ribbon cable headers of the USBtinyISP with an OHM meter and they are fine.

What am I doing wrong?

-- Mache

Cool deal. I think I ordered everything to get me started. Friend is giving me his Linksys router, and I have the ET732 probes already on hand. :)

Everything should trickle in over the next week or so :)

AWESOME.......it works, many Thanks!!
icon_smile.gif

now to put it all together!

Thanks Dave S,

I setup Arduino 0023 setting Tools, Board to Arduino Uno, not setting Serial Port to anything, and then executed Burn Bootloader w/ USBtinyISP. The green LED remains lit and when I execute the Burn command I get a flash of the red LED and got the following message:

C:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-0023\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-0023\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P\\.\COM5 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xde:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 11 2007 at 19:12:32
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "C:\Patches\Arduino\arduino-0023\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : \\.\COM5
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM5": The system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas?

-- Mache

There is a small company here in Silicon Valley called http://www.evilmadscientist.com that sold me my USBtinyISP kit and FTDI Friend. They offer a great deal of Arduino and related products. When I posted my problem on their support forum they offered to take a look if I was local and could drop by. This afternoon I took them up on their offer.

The owner was very generous and spent the better part of an hour evaluating my USBtinyISP and my HeaterMeter board. The verdict was that a) my USBtinyISP was fine, b) the CPU chip was fine, and c) the HeaterMeter board seemed to be assembled correctly but was not responding to the USBtinyISP. His guess was that because I had installed the RFM12 wireless module, its circuitry could possibly be interfering with the CPU chip lines required to install the bootloader from the USBtinyISP. He generously pulled my CPU chip out, inserted it into one of his products, and blew in a bootloader. He showed me that with the new bootloader, I could now load in software using FTDI on to my HeaterMeter. He suggested that in the future, I should either a) avoid installing the RFM12 until after I put in a bootloader, b) purchase one of his bootloader chip burner gadgets so I would not have to depend on the HeaterMeter, or c) purchase a CPU chip with the bootloader already installed. He was very kind and helpful.

So now its on to the next step of loading in the software to the CPU chip and integrating the HeaterMeter to the my WRT54G router.

-- Mache

The ports being used by the two version of the Arduino software are different (lpt1 and COM5). Do I have a port problem and if so, how do I fix it?

-- Mache

Mach...weird! I switched USB ports and now I can burn the boot loader on my heatermeter (actually a minilink v1.1). The Minilink v1.1 is a stripped down version of the v3.2 board. The wiring for the ICSP is the same so yours should work fine.

I do have a v3.1 board where I have never been able to burn a boot loader on through the ICSP.

If you have an Uno maybe you can see if you are having the same problem.

Maybe Google around more for solutions.

Originally posted by Dennis C:
Says Blower Style Fan 12VDC 5-10CFM. The link goes to a 6.5 CFM one? 03-1117-ND

Just want to make sure I am ordering the right blower. I have the 22.5 WSM
Yeah I think that should be fine. I know the commercial systems say 5cfm for WSM, Webber kettle, and Green Egg configurations. That 6.5cfm rarely goes over 20% speed in my egg except during startup:
butt-20120528.png

I have the ET-732 probe, and they are 6ft in length. I use the "pit" version which doesn't have the pointy end like the food probe, but they both have the same thermocouple and should work the same.

Since I can't attach anything on this forum, wish we could use a forum software that wasn't 20 years old, here is the table of temps vs resistance for the ET-732 probes:

F R(ohms)
-76 2.24E+08
-58 1.01E+08
-40 4.80E+07
-22 2.39E+07
-4 1.24E+07
14 6.68E+06
32 3.73E+06
50 2.16E+06
68 1.28E+06
77 1.00E+06
86 7.86E+05
104 4.93E+05
122 3.17E+05
140 2.09E+05
158 1.40E+05
176 9.59E+04
194 6.68E+04
212 4.74E+04
230 3.41E+04
248 2.50E+04
257 2.14E+04
266 1.85E+04
284 1.39E+04
302 1.06E+04
320 8.11E+03
356 4.95E+03
392 3.14E+03
428 2.06E+03
464 1.40E+03
500 9.71E+02
538 6.92E+02
572 5.05E+02

You can use this to see if the probe works at a couple known temperatures. I do room temp, and boiling water temp. If that is working, then the probe is fine. Let's double check your coefficients. For the ET-732 they should be:

A. 0.00043933992
B. 0.000208342
C. 1.2004001e-8

The Resist value should match the schematic which should be: 10kohms if you didn't make any changes here.

dave

Cool deal. I think I ordered everything to get me started. Friend is giving me his Linksys router, and I have the ET732 probes already on hand. :)

Everything should trickle in over the next week or so :)

Great news! Welcome to the club. Where are some very helpful people here.

Hi all,

I have read the whole thread, its a really great project! I am from Austria(Europe, no kangaroos) and try to do some BBQ because it tastes so much better than grilling.
I m an IT guy and DIY electronics is one of my hobbies.
Just ordered the missing parts, got a WRT54 working and will try to build up a atmega on my breadboard.
Thanks so far for all your work!

Philipp

I think this one will work from digi-key:

http://www.digikey.com/product...2A/CP-202A-ND/252007

But I'd have Bryan double check my schematic reading.

dave

Hi All,

I've always wanted but never had a chance until now to put together my first PCB board. I am looking at the parts from Mouser that I need and notice that
163-7620-E is out of the stock. The recommended replaced 163-7620E-E is also out of stock.

Is there a replacement piece from another company that I can buy so I get this right? I don't want my first time to be too confusing :)

Originally posted by RJ Riememsnider:
Well looks like my problem is the RX on the linksys itself. I get temp reading from it but can't send anything to the router. I have traced the connection all the way through the trace on the linksys. Is there anything else I could try before I scrap this router?
Does it have 2 serial ports on it? You could do what I did and use ttyS0. If this is an option let me know and I'll explain what you have to do to get that working. 3D Printer you say? Frickin' sweet! I was going to actually see if I could find someone locally that would let me rent theirs for cost of materials or something. I don't know why Kinkos doesn't have 3D printers yet because that would be awesome.

@Ben Fillmore: Yeah I don't see why it doesn't work considering those probes have worked for others. I don't know jack about electronics either which is probably why this project is somewhat of a CF in the hardware department! I would assume there would be no problem reading a 1Mohm probe, why wouldn't there be?
icon_smile.gif
I suppose I can try putting a 1Mohm resistor on my LinkMeter and seeing if it can read it or if I've introduced a bug that breaks it.

@Dave Smith: Congratulations! You've been having such a hard time I'm glad things are starting to work for you.

Does it have 2 serial ports on it? You could do what I did and use ttyS0. If this is an option let me know and I'll explain what you have to do to get that working.

It does. This one is for a friend though and I'm a little worried about future updates causing problems. What do you think?

Originally posted by D Peart:
The Resist value should match the schematic which should be: 1000ohms if you didn't make any changes here.
Thanks Dave, I can't find anything in this thread any more! The resistor should be 10000 (10k) ohms though.

Originally posted by Kyle Christensen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis C:
Hi All,

I've always wanted but never had a chance until now to put together my first PCB board. I am looking at the parts from Mouser that I need and notice that
163-7620-E is out of the stock. The recommended replaced 163-7620E-E is also out of stock.

Is there a replacement piece from another company that I can buy so I get this right? I don't want my first time to be too confusing :)

Note: That part is optional if you're not building a standalone HeaterMeter. If you're tossing it in a router, you won't even need it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohh even better. I am going to be throwing this into a router as that is what makes this a much more fun project to do.

Also for the Fan

Says Blower Style Fan 12VDC 5-10CFM. The link goes to a 6.5 CFM one? 03-1117-ND

Just want to make sure I am ordering the right blower. I have the 22.5 WSM

Hi All,

Hi All,

Note: That part is optional if you're not building a standalone HeaterMeter. If you're tossing it in a router, you won't even need it.

Back