Silver A Bunner Issue

Dave F

Hello Folks,

Dave here. I just rebuilt a Silver A my neighbor gave me. I took apart the burners, used some degreaser and checked the holes with a pin. Put it back together, and now the back burner is not working. Front has a nice flane across, but the back is pretty vacant. Any thoughts?

My first question would be are you getting any gas to the back burner. Can you light it manually? If not, then I would look for issues with the gas valve. Are the spider blockers installed on the air inlets?

Hi Dave

Another good thing to check is the crossover tube that runs between the 2 burners. Is it in place? If so, are the holes pointed sideways, towards the holes on the back burner, and not up or down? That tube transfers the gas from the front to the back burner and if its not there or simply dirty or installed wrong the back burner wont light.

Another point I thought I would mention is that about 1/4 of one end of the crossover tube broke off and I can take the tube out. I put it back in and it still extends into both tubes about 1/4" so I figure it's ok.

Ok, my crossover tube holes were facing up. I brought those down to line up with the burner holes. Still no flame on back burner.

The spider guides are in place. Do they go outside or inside their silver cap frame?
Mine are inside.

I downloaded the manual and read about resetting the excess flow safety device. Does anyone think that could do it? If not, I think the gas is not making it's way through the manifold & regulator, so I think that's the next area of focus for trouble shooting, if the reset does not work.

If the grill was in bypass mode the back burner would still light, you just would get a very low flame. It basically restricts about 75% of the gas flow through the regulator. But it definatley wont hurt to go through the reset process just to be sure. Im curious if your even getting gas to the back burner through the manifold.....after lighting the front burner, turn the back burner on hi and try and light it manually. Or you could even just turn on the back burner to hi and try and light it manually. If it wont light then you must have a problem with the manifold itself. It cant be the regulator since the front burner lights...so just a process of elimination. Good luck!

Nothing worked. I bit the bullet and ordered a manifold for $61.00 from Weber. I mentioned the damaged spider guards and they threw in a set of burner tubes for free. Not bad. My grill should be 100%, once I get it together. Can't wait!

Back