Relaxing more?

Mike Draper

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been grilling for many years, and also started with the smokers a year ago, and I grill or smoke 'something' 2-3 times a week.

My question is, do you still get 'stressed' when cooking for more people than just family, and will it go away?

As much as I plan and prepare to time everything, there is still that stress factor that everything comes out perfect. (I do have a lot of fun)

Thanks!

Mike,

I hear ya. When you really care about the quality of the food and you know that it reflects something about you, it’s hard not too feel some pressure. I suppose a little stress pushes us to do our best, but at some point it becomes counterproductive. I’ve gotten so nervous that I’ve lost my perspective and made mistakes. The answer for me has been picking a menu that I’m comfortable with and focusing on what’s really important. I’d rather serve two really nice courses of food and maintain my peace of mind than go crazy serving an elaborate five-course meal. Your guests are there to eat but they are also they to enjoy your company. Don’t let the food get in the way of a good time. One of the nice things about grilling is that it draws people to the fire. There is nothing wrong with handing them a pair of tongs and letting them help with dinner. In many cases you might learn a thing or two. I know I have.

Thanks for writing.

Jamie

Back