Grill does not get as hot after I changed the regulator.

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
My trusted Weber Platinum got got close to 650 last year. This year I had to change the regulator because the old one was leaking badly. Now the grill doesn't get that hot anymore as before. It also seems to take longer. Could this be an issue with the regulator? OK I did not buy a Weber regulator but went with a HD generic one since I thought there should not be a difference. Maybe I am wrong.

Well, the evidence as you present it does indicate it might be an issue with the new regulator. However, I would try a different tank and see if that might make a difference. How long since you did any real cleaning to it...especially the burners?

I have a $12 regulator and hose on my Genesis 1000 and it will hit 600. Not sure what it would do before I changed it though. Do you have a spare regulator laying around in your parts piles to check it with?

Bruce, the burners are about 1 to 2 years old. I am going to check them again. Especially the spider guards. But I may also swap the regulator since I need another one anyhow for a grill to flip.
Since I have fallen back into the dark side of charcoal grilling I am not using that gasser that often anymore. 😂

I don’t think that charcoal is the dark side (nor is pellet grill cooking). They are just tools in the tool chest. Each has its pros and cons. I also find myself sometimes shifting which is my favorite, but I hope I can always have at least one of each type:coolkettle:!:blackgenesis1000::weberq::blackkettle:

Hey Chris, we are going to need to add a SmokeFire avatar!

I don’t think that charcoal is the dark side (nor is pellet grill cooking). They are just tools in the tool chest. Each has its pros and cons. I also find myself sometimes shifting which is my favorite, but I hope I can always have at least one of each type:coolkettle:!:blackgenesis1000::weberq::blackkettle:

I agree with you Jon. I switch between all of them. I use the kettle for Pizza or with a vortex for searing or wings. And then I got a cheap slow n'sear a few weeks ago. They all have their pros and cons. I am going to wait for some detailed reviews on the Weber pellet grill. Maybe this could be an option to replace all of the others down the road.
So we will see.

Back