Frame Square Nut Connector

BrianV

I need to replace a portion of my frame where the welded in square nut rusted away. I thought I remember someone posting push in type square nuts that allow you to then bolt in a new piece of the frame, but I can't find the post. If someone knows what I'm talking about could you please point me in the direction of where to buy these, or if there is a better way to salvage a section of frame?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Sam! You are awesome

Brian,

You will really like those McMaster parts. They work very well in my initial experience.

f4lmvm.jpg

69gtbq.jpg

That sure is a win! I'm going to be needing a bunch of those for my rusted out 5000 I'm trying to piece back together. Awesome photos of the replacement part in use too. I'm sure it could easily be painted black to match the rest of the cart, but on the other hand, it's not really noticeable at all unless you're looking.

I went to the web page trying to figure out the cost, so I added a bag of 4 to my cart and tried to figure out shipping charges. Somewhere along the line, I wound up placing an order for them. I got the shipping invoice via email this morning. I didn't really intend to actually place the order, but I will just let it go through since I will be able to use them. What sux is that the shipping costs more than the fasteners. I don't ever remember putting in CC info and it looks like they are sending them out with a payment due invoice. I can't remember the last time I ordered something off the internet with a "Bill me Later" option.

The last time I ordered from McMaster-Carr, I bought 8 of the 1.25" square connectors (they are sold in packs of 4 at 8.96 per pack) and 8 of the 1" square connectors (they are sold in packs of 4 at 5.84) per pack, so the subtotal came to ~$30 and shipping was $6 to my door. I didn't think the shipping charge was unreasonable.

I've since used up all 8 of the 1" connectors, but I still have 4 of the 1.25" ones.

I wondered about the pulling force this table leg adjuster end can take over time. I just saw this and since I posted and I've come up with another solution.
20180626_172115%20(2).jpg

1/4" all thread, 7/8 rubber bumpers, original plastic washer and lock nut.

Sorry, I won't buy into that Photo bucket crap. It's so old school, BBS, and money based. Soo... the 7/8" rubber bumpers (from THD) have been inserted in the center by the 1/4" all thread. The small end of the taper plugged into the tube to keep the it centered. The all-thread is the strength member. File down the thread ends at the locking nuts under the original black plastic washers after tightening So no picture, not my fault.

This table leg end fix is good and will last a while I'm sure. My tubes are rusted and won't even probably hold more than a couple of grill moves.
Thanks all.

Bob

Last edited:

Back