Thanks button?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hey Chris,
This may be an odd place to ask this but, it was the best I could come up with.
Have you considered adding a “thanks” button at the bottom of the post section? I’ve seen them right next to the “Report” button.
I know several other sites that use them and it’s a very simple way to acknowledge a good post without having to post a whole “thanks for the picture (or whatever),” which takes up more of your server space.
Just a thought.

I agree with Cliff. If you just have a like button or a thanks button it really doesn't show any appreciation for the effort Op put into creating the thread. I think that's the least we could do is say a couple of kind words.
I may be wrong but I think this was addressed a while ago, but I don't remember what Chris's response was.

Nothing to apologize for Timothy. It might just get an acknowledgment from folks that just like an idea but don't want to add anything more to the conversation.

This was brought up before and Chris didn't like the idea.... I'm with Cliff leave it as it is.

Nothing to apologize for Timothy. It might just get an acknowledgment from folks that just like an idea but don't want to add anything more to the conversation.
I agree with Lew.

I brought this up a few years ago and several members "liked" the idea, some did not.
My thinking then, and still is, that it would let the OP know you saw the post and appreciate it, while still allowing the ability to comment, if so desired. I can't remember why Chris wasn't keen on the idea.

I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that some former gallery posters stopped because they felt bad doing so if they didn't comment/compliment all the other gallery posts. I know I felt that way, but finally got over it. :)
Not everyone has the time to comment, or simply don't want to take the time.

The way it works on the Pentax camera forum is there's a like button at the bottom left of your post, the number of likes show up top left, clicking on the number reveals the members who liked it.

edit to add I found the post where i asked for a vote, the count was 14 yes for a like button, 3 no, and a couple undecided.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55136-Pulled-Pork-Pizza-and-a-Plea

Last edited:
60627-up-straight-arrow.png

Like ;)

Another option would be to have the ability to add a "Like" button to your tread when posting it. I understand saying the same things over and over again can get old and start to become meaning less.
That's why Barb and I don't start a lot of threads anymore because we tend to repeat our favorites and you guys have seen them multiple times so something like that a "like" button would work fine.

Thanks Lew, thanks to you too Bob, it’s simply an acknowledgment without needing to add characters, the Mandolin Cafe site set up is like the Pentax one too, and MUCH easier to add photos.
It just makes me think it would not use as much band width to “Thank” someone than to respond to the thread with “boy that looks great” thirty times.
Just one mans opinion.

I think it would depend on if that capability is built into the vBulletin software the site runs on. I doubt it. I used to have a guild website for an online game that ran on vBulletin, but that was a long time ago. I doubt Chris wants to reprogram their software. I sure as hell wouldn't know how to go about it. It's a good idea though! However, sometimes the old fashioned way to thank someone is best: Write a reply post on a website. ;)

Edit: I googled it an it looks like it is possible, but it's a hack. I doubt Chris would want to mess with it.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence regards this.

Personally, if I go to the effort of documenting a cook & posting it... wouldn't want to see a bunch of "likes" or "thanks" & nothing else..
otoh... would be nice to see acknowledgement for the effort even if someone wishes not to comment.
I have a feeling that those who wish to comment will do so.
Could give it a try & see how it goes?
If it's a bust... get rid of it.

Back