My Redhead Rebuild

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
Just started had a number of issues but wanted to get the before pictures in here.

K3XgLhY.jpg

p23M03m.jpg

YzzM2z5.jpg

idSmPh6.jpg

TSA4wHz.jpg

Ur9IDHE.jpg

sy2MZD3.jpg

QI0ts12.jpg

C7Qbqw5.jpg

xuEXXVb.jpg

That handle is gorgeous! Did you fabricate it or is it an original that you refinished?

Bob that looks like the original handle I have a plan to restore mine going to use solid stain its in good shape problem is one of the bolts on the left side will not come out I got one more thing to try. 5 of the end cap studs would not come out figured how to grind those nuts little damage to the screws but they lost their bite not sure if just putting new washers and nuts on them will hold but hopefully like the stud look. I can fix the handle shoot some finishing nails through the bottom uses some wood filler solid stain think I will be fine. I had asked Bruce this he has a different setup for the drop down he found a donor with the sliding bracket mine just has a bracket in the back lift it up then a hole to put the rod in which is bent by the way worried about how solid that is but you did a beautiful job by the way.

TH wanted to get the before stuff done always fun to see what they look like in the end.

Bob that looks like the original handle I have a plan to restore mine going to use solid stain its in good shape problem is one of the bolts on the left side will not come out I got one more thing to try. 5 of the end cap studs would not come out figured how to grind those nuts little damage to the screws but they lost their bite not sure if just putting new washers and nuts on them will hold but hopefully like the stud look. I can fix the handle shoot some finishing nails through the bottom uses some wood filler solid stain think I will be fine. I had asked Bruce this he has a different setup for the drop down he found a donor with the sliding bracket mine just has a bracket in the back lift it up then a hole to put the rod in which is bent by the way worried about how solid that is but you did a beautiful job by the way.

TH wanted to get the before stuff done always fun to see what they look like in the end.

Brian, I think you are missing the slider for your lift up I see the hole where it mounts on one leg if you have a hole on both legs that's where the slider mounts.
As far as I can tell the part is no longer available, you might want to put a post in buy, sell, trade and see if one of the forum members has one laying around they would be willing to part with.

Last edited:
Rich I followed your thread that was the one you drove 9000 miles for is it not? :)
If you look at the lower right edge of my control panel you see a ding or something when I looked at your build it almost looked like you had the same thing not really sure what would have done that. I think might take some caliper black paint with a foam brush the Jeff trick to cover that bit of rust. Let me ask also is everyone painting the bottom of the fireboxes my rails have some rust thinking of hitting them with a rust treatment hit it with some high heat primer then the ultra. Would tape the opening to the firebox obviously with paper to make sure not paint gets in there.

Rich on mine and I think it was the same with Bruce there is no slider, on the back frame there is a bracket where the the rod goes in when it is down. When you put it up there is a hole to plug it into.

That handle is gorgeous! Did you fabricate it or is it an original that you refinished?
Thanks, it's original.
I didn't do a full blown, take apart rehab, just cleaning (didn't get too carried away on the inside, just scrapped off what would come off) new FB's, and ignitor.
Cleaned and stained the wood, and painted the outside firebox.

Rich I followed your thread that was the one you drove 9000 miles for is it not? :)
If you look at the lower right edge of my control panel you see a ding or something when I looked at your build it almost looked like you had the same thing not really sure what would have done that. I think might take some caliper black paint with a foam brush the Jeff trick to cover that bit of rust. Let me ask also is everyone painting the bottom of the fireboxes my rails have some rust thinking of hitting them with a rust treatment hit it with some high heat primer then the ultra. Would tape the opening to the firebox obviously with paper to make sure not paint gets in there.

Yep, I was the traveling man.

Take the firebox out of the frame to paint the outside only, that way you can inspect the frame and paint the inside of the rails for more protection. The bolt that holds the firebox in is a special bolt and will more then likely snap when you try to remove it. Just use a smaller size SS bolt and nut to secure the firebox.
I'm assuming you are referring to the rails that hold the large drip tray. I just shot mine with the HH paint no need to use primer.
As far as the control panel goes I have three of them and they all look like that.

Take your timer remember how do you eat an elephant...one bite at a time.

Rich yes mine snapped on the left side right at the firebox an idiot did not realize there was a nut on the inside of the firebox cause there was something that looked like it but worked out great hit both sides with pb blaster then I was still able to grab what was left of that nut worked it back and forth and it came out so all good.

Bob kind of what I am doing took it all apart except for the frame had issues with the side lids but good now snapped the bolt on the left side but got lucky. I am not going to take the frame apart its solid will not going to take a chance they frame bolts snap so will just spray over them in place. Spent Sunday getting the lid clean inside and out painful to say the least wife not helping got most of the inside done simple green razor blades still got some gunk to get off wife said it was not finished cause there was still some gunk inside she wants it shiny does not get it one cook and not so much. Learned a long time ago do not argue with your wife she signed up for this she loved the redhead so spending time on the restore is not an issue.

Bob kind of what I am doing took it all apart except for the frame had issues with the side lids but good now snapped the bolt on the left side but got lucky. I am not going to take the frame apart its solid will not going to take a chance they frame bolts snap so will just spray over them in place. Spent Sunday getting the lid clean inside and out painful to say the least wife not helping got most of the inside done simple green razor blades still got some gunk to get off wife said it was not finished cause there was still some gunk inside she wants it shiny does not get it one cook and not so much. Learned a long time ago do not argue with your wife she signed up for this she loved the redhead so spending time on the restore is not an issue.

Happy wife = happy life;)

Dave, going slowly but going ok, almost have the inside of the lid done wondering if I was better off using easy off instead of the simple green its caked and I mean caked but with my razor blade scraper and the steel wool getting there. On the lid the back where it meets box caked on beyond believe getting there also the rest of the lid should be easy not much I assume you should not use the razor blade on the back of the lid to get that junk off would have helped but was afraid to do it.

The large drip tray the top flat piece has a lot of rust the inside good, can I just wire brush that and hit it with the high heat ultra worried about it. Have some other stuff to ask about will do it later.

Brian,
I used a single edge razor blade on the complete inside of the lid as well as on the outside back where there was caked on grease, just be sure to change the blade often as you don't want to push a dull blade against the porcelain and do irreversible damage.

Jeff

You can use a razor blade on the entire lid, even the outside red part. Of course, apply common sense and make sure that the tip/end of the razor doesn't dig into anything. I've tried using Easy Off once or twice and have to say that it never seemed to get me very far.

Looking at this from a car detailer's prospective, I'd almost bet the frame (and most other painted surfaces) could be restored with a microfiber applicator and a bottle of cleaner wax - or better yet, a bottle of Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0. (provided there's no rust)

I recommend a clean microfiber cloth for removal.

Back