Build questions

Chip N

TVWBB Member
I have a WSM 22 and will be building a Heatermeter. Do I need a damper? I have lots of soldering experience, but little on wifi or programming. I am assuming you guys will help me through it?

Dampers are nice to have, but not needed. They do take some of the guess work out of controlling your smoker and make better mount for the blower.

I recently bought the Adapt-a-damper kit off the main site and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I'd totally recommend it

Having used my HM for about 5 years without a damper and building a damper last year, I would say go with the damper. The temps are much more stable with the damper. I built and printed an adapt-a-damper and love it!

I have a WSM 22 and will be building a Heatermeter. Do I need a damper? I have lots of soldering experience, but little on wifi or programming. I am assuming you guys will help me through it?

Piece o cake
Get the damper

Wbegg sold me assembled damper for less than i could have printed it , bought parts, and put it together for. Look into this.

I bought heatermeter from bryan. Reasonable premium
about $50 for it to be put together for you and tested, imo. Would take me many hrs to do it, if not days to troubleshoot a mistake..... My time is worth more than $10/hr to me.

Last edited:
Got it all soldered , and tested board with my sons pi. Do i put the wifi config on the sd card with the image?

Back