Father's day grilling on a non Weber

Greg M

TVWBB All-Star
My father in law asked me to grill steaks and vegetables on his 3 year old Brinkman grill on Father's day. It was my first time grilling on a non Weber in several years. It was interesting.

The good: the grill got plenty hot. The heat was fairly even. The grill flared up more than My genesis grills would have but not too bad. The steaks turned out good.

The bad: This grill is working but it's in trouble already. It's only about 3 years old. It's always covered and under a deck overhang. This grill is only used 4 or 5 times a year. But the porcelain cast iron grates are chipping. The igniter no longer works. Several of the flavorizors are about to crumble. And there are rust spots scattered throughout the "stainless" exterior parts. My FIL mentioned rebuilding it but I pointed out it looks like the firebox might rust through soon.

I know this was only a $300 grill but good grief. If this grill had the kind of use my Webers get i doubt it would have lasted a year. Really makes you appreciate weber grills (new and old).

Last edited:
Haha that's what my wife asked. If a good one pops up that's not too big a project i probably will.

Sure, much of what you may have seen is possibly from condensation and being under a cover not being used much. If you don't drive off that moisture it turns to string acids and eats everything away.

Back