Weber 6 Burner (potential purchase)

Firebox rust out is the biggest concern along with the cabinet. They're OK grills not anywhere near the quality of their predecessor but OK. They get just ripping hot. The one you're looking at appears to be the top line unit with IR rotisserie burner and smoke burner along with a side burner. It should also come with heavy stainless steel rod type grates not the stamped steel ones. Rust is the biggest issue and not sure but Weber may have abandoned support for it so if you see damages you will not be able to repair it because there will not be parts

I have always liked that Summit. It seems a little like a “stretch” Genesis Gold of that same era. A couple things (at least) to note:

Unlike the Genesis, the firebox is not all cast aluminum. The front part where the burners go in is prone to rust with no easy or moderately priced fix.

Parts are not as common as with the Genesis and can be pricey, especially the flavorizer bars.

The big Summits definitely have a cool appeal. Before jumping in you might consider the advantages of having two Genesis grills of the same vintage instead. More total cooking space, cast aluminum fireboxes, and flexibility that 2 grills offer. Cost-wise fixing up and maintaining two older Genesis grills would probably not be much more than one older Summit.

Yah, I agree with LMichaels. If there are no major issues with the grill, then that would be a great price for that grill. The asking price is probably about 1/10th of the original selling price. But, just be careful, because any needed repairs might drive that bargain up quick in cost.

Good luck and keep us updated on the find.

Last edited:
Summit Gold D or D6> Heck of a grill but can have issues just as LM and Jon discussed. I'd go and take a look at it. Lift the grates and see how the flavorizers look. Make sure all the weld points are solid as those bars are stupidly expensive to replace. Then, pull them and check out the inside front of the firebox where the burner tubes poke through. Check for rust/corrosion. Also check a bit higher up on the lip of the firebox where the cooking grates rest. Corrosion tends to occur there as well.

IF, IF, IF the firebox is in good shape, then it might be worth getting into. If the firebox is jacked up, and the seller is the original owner, you might see about getting them to contact Weber about replacing the firebox under warranty.

Last edited:
Summit Gold D or D6> Heck of a grill but can have issues just as LM and Jon discussed. I'd go and take a look at it. Lift the grates and see how the flavorizers look. Make sure all the weld points are solid as those bars are stupidly expensive to replace. Then, pull them and check out the inside front of the firebox where the burner tubes poke through. Check for rust/corrosion. Also check a bit higher up on the lip of the firebox where the cooking grates rest. Corrosion tends to occur there as well.

IF, IF, IF the firebox is in good shape, then it might be worth getting into. If the firebox is jacked up, and the seller is the original owner, you might see about getting them to contact Weber about replacing the firebox under warranty.

Except if Weber treats that model as they did mine they'll simply tell you they don't have and do not make the part(s) and simply abandon it even under warranty. While these grills cook very well tread cautiously

If you do buy it, chances are the original owner never registered it. If there are any parts under warranty that need replacement, you could just tell weber you bought it years ago but never registered it. If they are in the warranty mood, they will still honor it. But they will not honor a warranty on a second owner.

I wish I wasn't between jobs! That's a nice grill not too far from me, and I run natural gas. Good luck!

Just an update. The seller had the grill listed on craigslist as well as ebay. He directed the craigslist interest into ebay bidding. And given the insight gleaned from you guys regarding potential firebox issues and parts availability, coupled with snow here...I just wasn't willing to bid sight unseen. Looks like $150 was the winning bid. Thanks for the advice in any event. Very helpful.

Yah, It didn't take me long to realize there is always another grill around the corner. Patience is the key in looking for a good deal on a Weber grill and there are a lot of used ones out there. In about 3 or 4 months, the snow will be gone up north here and people will start to want to get back out side and do some "grilling". The look at the old crudded up weber with the starter that doesn't work any more and maybe has trashed cooking grates and say, "screw it, just get rid of this and let's get a new one". Then, they offer them up on CL for $50 or free curb pickup.

$50-$100 and a few hours of work and you have a nice clean fully functional Weber grill that will go another ten years with regular cleanings.

Yah, It didn't take me long to realize there is always another grill around the corner. Patience is the key in looking for a good deal on a Weber grill and there are a lot of used ones out there. In about 3 or 4 months, the snow will be gone up north here and people will start to want to get back out side and do some "grilling". The look at the old crudded up weber with the starter that doesn't work any more and maybe has trashed cooking grates and say, "screw it, just get rid of this and let's get a new one". Then, they offer them up on CL for $50 or free curb pickup.

$50-$100 and a few hours of work and you have a nice clean fully functional Weber grill that will go another ten years with regular cleanings.

Definitely! I think the HARD part is when three or four very interesting good deals come up all at once! I have got to stop and catch up with what I have, but the fever is easy to catch and hard to keep in check:eek:!

Patience and realizing that the missed "great deal" won't be the last one!

Back