The Yakitori Challenge

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
There have been many Yakitori cooks this week. Are you familiar with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge? I'm starting the Yakitori Challenge. Simply cook yakitori chicken and post pics. Then, call out 2 TVWBB members to do the same. Let's see how far this goes - if anywhere. :D

I nominate Barb D and John Solak.

Let's see some Yakitori!

Edit: Here is the recipe from our friend in Prague:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?40673-Prague-s-Yakitori-II&highlight=Yakitori

Last edited:
This is great I all ready pulled up some recipes for Yakitori and James Lake sent me his and I was going to do it about the middle of the week, but seeing Jim picked Barb to do the challenge I'm going to give the recipes to her and sit back and enjoy the fun.
Barb will be responding shortly:D

Last edited:
Don't worry John it will be a few days before I can get to this. Lots of other things going on right now but looking forward to it. Barb

Obviously, we have a finite number of 'regulars' around here, So this won't go on too long. But when the Yakitori action slows, we can start something else. Hopefully, it'll be a fun way to get ourselves (and each other) to try things that might end up just sitting on the 'to do' list.

Here is my response to the challenge.

Started with my sauce for chicken. Soy sauce, Sake, Mirin, sugar, fresh ginger and garlic, sesame oil. Bring to simmer, cook 7 minutes. Reserved 2 Tbsp. for serving. Cool and add the rest to 1 pound chicken thighs cut into 1 inch strips marinade for 3-4 hours. Then put on skewers with green onions and ready for grilling. Cook direct for about 20 minutes.

Veggies were broccoli, bok choy, bean sprouts, snow peas, zucchini and some Yakitori sauce, S & P and whole bunch of minced garlic, packaged in tin foil on grill for 20 minutes.

Hokkien noodles warmed with Yoshidas and Hot Sauce.

Served with veggies and Yakitori chicken along with Sapporo Japanese beer and Blue Fin chardonnay. The combination of flavors was amazing and will be doing again.

My choice for the next two challengers are.

Dwain Pannell

Cliff Bartlett

Good luck guys!

S1030156_zps89aa5505.jpg

S1030161_zpsabad2dd0.jpg

S1030179_zps70b3c6a1.jpg

S1030174_zps644933ef.jpg

S1030184_zpsde0fcae9.jpg

S1030185_zpsadcfe3e9.jpg

S1030187_zpsdcf83a0b.jpg

S1030189_zpsbc66b8db.jpg

S1030196_zps01d723c8.jpg

S1030199_zpse2a5adec.jpg

Way to go, Barb. Looks absolutely delicious! It's tough following all of you who have already done this, including those who posted it before the challenge started, but I'll give it a shot.

Looks great Barb! I really like the sides, and the cooking of the marinade. I'm going to try these.

Thanks for accepting the challenge! Let's see what Dwain and Cliff do. John Solak, Yak it up! ;)

Barb that looks fantastic, it truly is a great meal you put together.

And Mildo, thank you so much for the compliment. It is high praise when you consider the cooks we got on this site

Oh just great guys! Barb's head is so big now she can't get through the door, there will be no living with her now!

Back