Vortex high temperature trouble

ChadO

HI,

I got small vortex for Xmas and after three attempts I have had little luck getting a temp much above 400 on my 22.5 performer.

What am I doing wrong? I'm letting one full chimney of KBB ash over before I dump them in.

I want the wings I have seen pics of with the vortex!

THX!

Chad. I think the medium size Vortex is the proper size for a 22. It looks like you have a smaller Weber in your family. I would try it in one of those. Also make sure the charcoal is filled to the very top of the Vortex.

Sadly many of the sale sites list a small for 18-22 kettles. Maybe I'll try it with the 14 or 18 WSM with the center removed? Has anyone tryied that?

I agree with Pat, the medium is what I use in my Performer and it gets so hot that I have to use a heavy glove to handle the lid.

I have a small for my Jumbo Joe and a medium for the 22 performer, there is a big difference in size.

I've got the small and it's gets pretty darn hot in my 22. I definitely can't touch the handle. If I just dumped a chimney in my kettle it will do 500 no problem.

What about your vents Chad? How do you have them set? Were you using old or new charcoal and if old, how and where was it stored? You shouldn't be having this problem so am wondering what other factors could be at play here?

The vents have been wide open both top and bottom. I'm going to try again today for the super bowl with a brand new bag of charcoal from the garage. In general moisture is not a problem in Phoenix but you never know.

I'll post an update latter on.

I run a small vortex in a 22, my procedure is full of charcoal, after lighting and letting the coals ash over, shake it down and add some more charcoal. Also you may try leaving the lid slightly ajar, this will allow more air to the coals. You will need a heavy glove or hot pad for the handle.

HI again,

We'll I still did not have any better luck on Super Bowl Sunday. I did though after 60 plus minutes finally start to see temps around 500. Maybe the slightly ajar will help.

How are you guys lighting the charcoal directly in the vortex?

Maybe that's it....I need to shoot for screaming hot! I do let them ash over but next time I'll let them go longer.

Love the grilling struggles :)

I've used the small vortex in my 22, & it does fine.
I fill up my vortex with briqs + 10%, then into the chimney to fire them up.
All vents WIDE open. Screaming hot is good.

I use a medium vortex on my 22 kettle, and it sits just under the top grate(almost rubbing it). Maybe if you raise the smaller sized vortex up on something it will produce the desired heat. Also all vents wide open.

Chado;
>>>How are you guys lighting the charcoal directly in the vortex?<<<

I have the medium Vortex. I have a Performer with gas ignition. I just fill the Vortex with briqs, run the gas for three minutes by the clock, and in fifteen minutes it is ready to put the meat on. I also have a Performer without gas - I just dump a chimney full of lit in the Vortex when using it.

By the way, I LOVE my Vortex!

Dale53

^^
The small or mini vortex will not work with the SJ. The small vortex will not work in the JJ, but the mini will.
I had one custom made to use in my SJ & JJ, The Micro-Vortex.

According to Owensbbq website.

Mini Vortex - $34.95
Weber Jumbo Joe (this will NOT work for the Smokey Joe)
Out of Stock - expected 3/21/17

Small Vortex - $35.95
18.5" & 22.5" Kettle, 18" Old Smokey, Large BGE, Kamado Joe, Char-Griller Akorn, Vision M Series. PLEASE NOTE: When using in the ceramic style grills, there may not be room for all cooking applications depending on the grill. Indirect-Direct and the High Heat Direct will work for sure!)
(this will NOT work for the Jumbo Joe).

Medium Vortex - $39.95
22.5" & 26" Kettles, 22" Old Smokey
Approximately 2 inches larger at the widest opening than the small.

Large Vortex - $42.95
XL BGE or Kamado Joe BIG Joe, Drum Smokers, Weber Ranch Kettle
Approximately 1/2 inch taller than the medium, this is for the grate to grate height on the ceramic grills.

Last edited:
Just received the Medium Size Vortex for my 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill, so, for grilling a few Beef Steaks would filling this Medium Size Vortex 1/2 full of Weber Blue Bag Charcoal be enough for a good sear??

Also, the instructions included state that you do a trial burn full of lit charcoal before using with food. Correct??

I am really surprised how big this new "toy" is and maybe I should have bought the Small Version.

Last edited:

Back