Comfort food time!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Fall is probably my favorite time of year to cook. I have quite a few recipes I'll be pushing out in the next few weeks.

One of my all time favorites is oven fried chicken. When I was a kid my mom made this often with a cut up whole chicken. I'd always get the legs. So whenever I see legs on sale I pick them up. Last week they were $0.88/pound!

This can be done on the grill or smoker too, and I do quite often. This time was just in the oven.

1 whole chicken (parted out) or 8 chicken legs
1/3 cup Crisco or lard

1/4 cup seasoned flour. I typically season with SPOG and paprika.

Preheat oven and a cast iron pan pan with Crisco to 425°

Dredge Chicken with seasoned flour. I place mine in a plastic bag and shake.

Cook for 30 minutes. Flip chicken cook for 15-20 minutes more.

45649627481_1ef94278db_c.jpg

45649627931_296b291db9_c.jpg

31777209308_5e94a7cae8_c.jpg

43831420990_691e19b0be_c.jpg

31777194928_583f34d3fa_c.jpg

Served with garlic mashed taters and mixed veggies. Yes there is purple in the taters. Had a few purple taters that needed to be used.

Looks delicious, Case! Thanks for sharing the recipe.....looks like good Fall grub!

R

I'll be darn if I'm not gonna do this method soon. In most of my adult life I ate the breast, exclusively, but a couple years ago my taste buds suddenly changed and I love legs. Did your own cooking experience begin when you were a kid? You always post awesome dinners.

Nice looking chicken Case. Will give your recipe a try. We picked up a new brand of seasoned flour yesterday and I'll give it a try with chicken. We spent a few days up your way last week. We had to go north to experience our first rain of the season and some nice, chilly weather in the mornings.

WOW!!! Case, that chicken looks fantastic. Will give that a try and thanks for the recipe.

Last edited:

Back