Thanks for my Turkey Success (first I've ever cooked!) and a Temp Question

Hello, everyone!

Thanks to the Virtual Bullet, I was able to cook my first-ever Turkey (I'd never even cooked one in an oven or anything) and I did it on the 22 WSM. I've read the site for awhile and finally was able to get my WSM.

I smoked a 25lb Self-baster and just used EVOO and some Turkey Rub seasoning on it. I put a cheesecloth on top (just soaked with water) for the first 2 hours (saw that on one of the Weber videos) and the skin turned out perfect. The turkey was bought frozen and I didn't brine it.

Here's my temp question:

Surprisingly, that 25 pounder was done in just 4.5 hours. I was able to keep the temp at 325 for 2hrs 45 mins then had to add about 5 fistfuls of charcoal because the temp fell to 300. The temp went back up to 325 for an hour then backed off again to 300 and I just decided to leave it alone.

- To fire the cooker I lit 3/4 a chimney until it was going good then poured that into the charcoal ring. I poured as much charcoal as I could fit on top of that and waited until it was all glowing and greyed over before assembling the cooker.
-The outside air temp was 50F throughout the cook and the winds were about 7mph for the first hour and calm the rest of the time.
-The top vent stayed fully open the whole cook
- I partially closed the bottom vents to bring the temp down at first then left them fully open the rest of the cook

Any tips on how I can maintain 325 degrees without having to add charcoal in the middle of the cook or is that just normal for a 22 WSM for a hotter cook? Thanks to everyone on this website - I am stoked that I was able to make a perfect turkey and I've never cooked one using any method before!

Nate

fh2g0NP.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! I just used one fist-sized chunk of apple since my wife is sensitive to smoke flavor. It actually did perfect with just a hint of smoke and a thin smoke ring.

There is only one problem that comes with a first try success like yours Nate, that is the day you have your first “less than” experience!
Steel yourself for it but,that is a beautiful bird!

That is definitely my concern...…..that bird was the test for the big day so my fingers are crossed that the weather will be decent and I didn't spend all my luck already!

Nice looking bird Nate. I saw your comment about not brining if that's in your future make sure get a "non enhanced bird" almost all the super market birds are "enhanced" they use a sodium injection to help keep the bird moist. Brining one of those and depending on what the sodium level is you could end up with a bird so salty it's inedible…. Ask me how I know.

Rich, thanks for the tip. I could only find the injected birds where we were shopping and I was on the fence to try brining so I'm glad I didn't if it would get too salty like you mentioned.

In your picture, your dog (yellow one) looks just like my late Libby (she was a yellow lab/hound mix) and she would lay on the bed just like yours is in the picture. Love it!

Nate

Rich, thanks for the tip. I could only find the injected birds where we were shopping and I was on the fence to try brining so I'm glad I didn't if it would get too salty like you mentioned.

In your picture, your dog (yellow one) looks just like my late Libby (she was a yellow lab/hound mix) and she would lay on the bed just like yours is in the picture. Love it!

Nate

Nate, that's Whitney our Golden Retriever/ Husky/ Coyote mix. She is the sweetest dog, loves everybody. She is a rescue from the Navajo Indian reservation in New Mexico.

43836398620_46edeb8a8c_z.jpg
[/url]S1031643 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back