Current opinion on Genesis E/S 300 series gassers?

David Nord

TVWBB Member
I know there's a preference for older Genesis 1000-5000 and Silver/Golds here, but I've recently been seeing used Genesis E/S 300 series grills at pretty competitive prices on the usual websites.

Other than the switch from E-W to N-S burner alignment circa 2010 which seems to have a large impact on rotisserie grilling, are they any other gotchas to be aware of? It seems like the sear station was a nifty feature on some of these grills.

Going back through the postings here from a few years back, it seems most people were pretty happy with the Genesis grill build and performance of that generation. Are there any issues with the rusting bottoms of the closed cabinet versions like the previous Silver/Gold Genesis? I'm assuming not since it appears the construction was mostly stainless.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Last edited:
Rusted out cabinets are the biggest issue I see. If you can find an E/W E3xx grill with a good cabinet for a good price, then I say go for it. But, I still prefer the open cart design myself.

David,
It is sadly true that these grills have a bad reputation when it comes to rust in the cabinetry and frame legs. This is because theses parts are all just painted steel doomed to rust out in any kind of moist environment. The frame legs are further hindered by the fact that all four legs use casters. These have a propensity to collect water leading to total failure of the leg bottoms.

352oh76.jpg

2rw1h7d.jpg

Having said all that, I do believe these grills have some very positive merit. I especially like the older E-W burner configuration “sidewinder”. These still have the classic Weber setup in a slightly larger and more modern style grill. I still love the old classic Genesis with wood slats better, but I wouldn’t argue with someone who prefers the modern style. I think it looks good in black but there are some out there in very sharp dark red and bright blue.

The newer ones with the front controls are not as good to me, except that I personally DO like the 330 with its extra “sear” burner. Some don’t agree and feel it is a gimmick. I used a 330 as my daily driver for several years and liked how the sear burner worked very much. Some others must agree because Weber seemed to have felt compelled to bring it back after briefly discontinuing it on the first Genesis II grills.

If you are fortunate enough to find a sidewinder or later 330 with little or no rust, I could see why you would want one. Just take really good care and do some rust prevention measures. Then enjoy! There is room for variety in grills:cool:!

Last edited:
Dave:
I've had my E-310 since 2007, but I live in a dry climate (las vegas). Fantastic grill and I have upgraded it by adding the side burner making it E-320. I like the enclosed cabinet to hide all the grilling "stuff". I agree with Jon on the moisture issues. Keeping ahead of the rust is a big deal to contend with. Several members on the forum have posts of things to deal with rust. I liked my grill so much I was able to pick up a "garage queen" 2007 LP Genesis E-320 in a dark forest green instead of the black for my son who will get it at Christmas. $100 cost plus a little elbow grease to remove the grease was worth it. I'm partial to the cast iron grates, but in the humid areas, stainless might be preferable. Cast anything never did too well in Rhode Island. I don't move my grill much except if it is going to rain, I pull it a couple of feet under our patio overhand. Can't go too far since I'm hooked to NG. Good hunting and grilling!

If you can find one with no rust in the cabinet go for it. I restored one this summer where I had to replace the floor. The side panels were borderline but I could kind of fix them.
But I also have a friend who owns one. No rust on his. So I assume it is a game of luck.

I have an E320 sidewinder NG and it works fantastic. Rust is not an issue here in dry Arizona. It's our go to summer oven and for lots of other cooks. My wife even bakes bread in it.

I have a 2008 model that has been a good grill. Where can I find rust prevention tips? I live in avhumid climate and need to keep the rust from getting bad.

First off do you have rust you need to repair or just trying to preserve it? Big difference. If you have rust you need to repair and treat. I recommend the Eastwood products for treatment because you can get them as a spray that will go inside frame tubes and such and stop anything in there. If you're sure there is no rust there are other treatments such as CRC brand which is a grease/wax type treatment that again is sprayed into internal areas. It comes out very thin so it can penetrate and quickly "hardens" into a thick greasy/waxy substance. Stopping moisture from doing it's dirty work. Trouble is once you use that you will never be able to use the Eastwood Rust products as it will block their action since it will permeate the metal pores. So you have to be sure if what you want to accomplish

Seeing the 2017 and 2018 and maybe even 2019 which I believe all have enclosed carts is deja vu all over again. This is for the Genesis line.
These definitely have even thinner sheet metal cabinets, doors, etc. I think the only thing saving them is that they have an actual frame. Then the doors bolt on to it.
But still not sure of this engineering design as I dont have one with doors and enclosure, just my observation at the hardware store.

I do have a 2018 Genesis but mine is the empty cart model.

I believe they continued the open cart option, which I applaud. Also, they went back to the larger two wheels. At least that side will drain readily.

The bottom line is that these frames (and cabinets on close-in models) are painted steel. Without careful rust prevention and treatment, if kept in a humid climate outside they are going to inevitably rust. I really wish Weber would bring back the 2005-6 "Platinum" option with stainless frames. If they extended the all-stainless to the cabinets, closed in carts would have a much better reputation.

Even if they do bring back all ss frame version it would likely be $$$ in the stratosphere.
Another avenue is all aluminium frame. I think i saw at Ace or Menards square aluminium frame. I believe someone here that had a custom one made. It might be possible to just buy the square AL and make the frame with screws and nuts. Not sure how much but maybe not much more than $150. I am only talking about the Genesis 1000 and Silver B. It looks like it one may be able to do itself. If not maybe $50 for welding AL.
My counting may be off but for a well taken care of Genesis 1000 it would be worth it in my book. Hoping that the original cast iron grates are still good.
With new burners, rcplanebuyer flavor bars, new manifold with regulator that would push it to around $500 to $600 but that will run with any grills over $1500 or more.

Last edited:
An aluminum or SS frame and brackets with the regular genesis 1000 or Silver B lid, cook box and panel would last 50 years. If you put in some RCP grates and Flavorizer bars, the only thing you would likely have to replace would be the burners and a new igniter every ten or fifteen years.

I have to agree that stainless steel is not the only solution to rust. I would think the cabinet metal would be an especially good place to use aluminum instead of painted steel.

I think one problem is that Weber has started going to a "unibody" construction. The old Webers had a solid frame that the rest of the grill was then hung on. First, they dropped the lower horizontal support frame pieces in favor of a metal wire rack or, much worse, a painted steel flat bottom with angles bent on the edges to substitute for frame pieces and give strength. Then, with the 300 series, the sides of the grill itself rely partially on the sheet metal for structure. These sheets are welded onto the side frame pieces as singular units. When the sheet metal rusts, the whole thing becomes at risk. I suspect that Weber is counting on the strength of steel (before it is rusted:rolleyes:) and that aluminum might not be sufficient. Or, it could be the pricing. In any event, for rebuilds, just like a car, traditional body on frame construction is a lot easier to restore.

Back