Can I or has anyone... Built a cabinet for Weber propane grill

GregPeters

I have had my Weber Genesis for a number of years, 10?

It needs burners, grates and flavor bars. So I am at a point of selling it and buying new or changing what I have.

The ONE thing I do not like, is the bottom is open. I want it to have a closed cabinet.

I am handy with wood, and can make anything.

Is it safe to put the top portion of the grill in a wood stand?
lined with tile if needed for the heat?
Basically an oversized rolling cabinet for the top portion of the weber and a side cooking surface.

Not seeing much on the Internet about this.

I am not an expert at all, but I would think the big issue would be to allow breathing space between the firebox and the cart you build. Much like what Weber has done with older Genesis and Performer grills with the plastic thermoset tables. There would have to be some kind of metal attachments to hold the firebox to the cart that allows air space for heat to dissipate.

I would sell that grill and find a fixer upper that already has the enclosed cabinet. Easiest and cheapest solution I can think of. I personally prefer the open bottom. But Weber has made a lot of grills over the years with the enclosed cabinets. They hit CL and FB all the time.

But, if you are set on fixing up your current grill, I would not use wood. You would need some kind of buffer up near the cook box if you do go with wood. Tile and everything is going to get awful involved and add a lot of weight to the grill.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

I have had my Weber Genesis for a number of years, 10?

It needs burners, grates and flavor bars. So I am at a point of selling it and buying new or changing what I have.

The ONE thing I do not like, is the bottom is open. I want it to have a closed cabinet.

I am handy with wood, and can make anything.

Is it safe to put the top portion of the grill in a wood stand?
lined with tile if needed for the heat?
Basically an oversized rolling cabinet for the top portion of the weber and a side cooking surface.

Not seeing much on the Internet about this.

One follow-up to your idea. I recently saw a Weber website article about them getting an original “Sequoia” grill for their collection. This was an early special edition kettle grill that featured an entirely redwood cart that the kettle rested in. These are really rare and I have no idea how they provided breathing space so the wood didn’t burn. It does show, however, that the idea has been used even by Weber itself. They certainly were beautiful grills, so maybe you could create something similar in a gas version.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/when-a-classic-comes-home

Last edited:
Well, the fact is, of course you CAN but, SHOULD you?
Part of the reason they are such open construction is so,there isn’t any possibility of gas accumulation and the consequences that might occur. Making insulated brackets for the firebox is not impossible, and as long as there is adequate ventilation for the tank etc., you should be fine.

Back