Deep fryer

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I am looking at getting a deep fryer for chicke wings, mozarella sticks, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have been looking around but the reviews are so contradictory it is hard to tell which one is really good. Thanks in advance.
Lance

Lance, just make sure you get one that's big enough. For deep frying, you need lots of room so you don't overcrowd the basket. If you put too much food in to fry, the temp drops too low, and you wind up with oily mush.
icon_wink.gif
I have a 5 litre Euro Pro that I picked up at BJ's several years ago. It does a great job and I really like it. If I were looking for a replacement fryer, a 5 litre would be the smallest I'd purchase.
icon_wink.gif
HTH

I bought a cheap 3 liter for thanksgiving to make wings for the family, ended up making 20 Lbs, took a good 2.5 hours. Deep fryers arent that expensive so a high volume unit may be worth it, but ask yourself how often you will use it and compare that with how much time you will save with a bigger unit. Thats the only equation you really need give thought to.

Bryan,
I didn't realize that you needed so much oil in order to avoid a soggy mess. I will definitely make sure to get a larger one.

Jarrod,
I am not sure how much I am going to be using the deep fryer. It is like my WSM. Before I had it I didn't think I would use it that much. Now that I have it, I use the WSM all the time. I think the deep fryer might be like that so I want to plan accordingly.

Craig,
Thanks for the tip on the digitial therm and brand.

Lance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lance:
Bryan,
I didn't realize that you needed so much oil in order to avoid a soggy mess. I will definitely make sure to get a larger one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The more oil the fryer holds, the less the temp drops when you lower the cold or frozen food in. Even with the 5 litre, I tend to over-crowd the basket at times. If the temp drops too low, then the oil gets absorbed into the food, not good. HTH

What do you do with the oil once you are done frying? How do you store the oil and how long does the oil last?
Lance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you do with the oil once you are done frying? How do you store the oil and how long does the oil last? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd like some help with that too. I usually end up straining it back into the containers and keeping it in my basement.

As far as frying goes, I'll either fill up a stock pot and put in on my bayou classic (outside) for big batches or my dutch oven on my electric range (indoors) for small batches. I found fryer baskets of various sizes at an asian supermarket, and just drop a therm probe into the oil to maintain temp. It works well enough that I've never seen a need to get a dedicated fryer. Keep in mind it'll always be a challenge to do lots of wings at a time. Even with the stock pot with 2 gal oil, I cant do more than 10 or so at a time, if I have any designs on getting them crispy.

I am contemplating a deep fryer purchase also. Has anyone here used the Waring WDF75B? It is a 8.5 lb fat capacity 208v 2700 watt unit. I am also considering the Cecilware EL250, which seems like a real nice unit but perhaps a little large for my needs at 15 lbs fat capacity. It is a 5500 watt unit though so recovery times should be fast. I am leaning toward the Waring WDF75B due to its more sensible size for the home but so far can't find anyone who has used one first hand. The EL250 on the other hand I know works very well, just kind of large.

Back